Fairborn Studebaker axles

Well, I just finished the istallation of the flanged axles I bought last year. Probably fixed a non existant problem, as the old axles were well greased and looked fine, but as I drive this 63 Hawk frequently on long trips, I wanted to be sure I wasn't bitten by metal fatigue at some point. These axles are nice and are much heavier than the originals.- built tough. It was a straight forward installation, and sure makes brake jobs easy, but there is one addition I want to make.

One of my main concerns in the event of a broken axle was the resultant loss of brakes. With the new axles, though an axle won't break, if a wheel comes off (yes, it happened to me once when I stupidly forgot to tighten the lug nuts), the brake drum would come flying off and there go the brakes. I need to find a clip for the lugs to hold the brake drum on just in case.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Buchholz

I plan to upgrade to flanged axles and have been thinking about investigating a self adjusting drum brake system maybe from a Jeep or Mopar. I know there are disc set ups out there but the disc/drum combo is what I would prefer. Anybody experiment in that area???

Ernie R

red Buchholz wrote:

Reply to
Big E

On many brand X late model stuff, there is a little push on retainer that holds the drum in place... should be able to find something at a GOOD hardware store

Reply to
Lee

Some older American products had these, or you could drill and tap a hole to use a countersunk Phillips head machine screw like a lot of German cars. Use lots of anti-seize if you do the latter however.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Jeep Cherokees use two retaining clips to secure the front rotors, should be the same size stud

Reply to
transtar60xxx

Older Jeep Comanches used the countersunk phillips head screws as did Studebaker 3/4 ton trucks. Later Jeeps used the push on retainers.

Reply to
transtar60xxx

If you have the Studebaker discs, you don't want to change the rear brakes to some other brand as they would be self energizing brakes and you would need to add a pressure reducer to the rear brakes.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Again, the Stude disc rear brakes *are self-energizing*. They are *not servo action*, and most others are.

-- wf.

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

-
Reply to
randee

Uh, I think that you're being a little pendentic here. Self energizing in the colloquial sense generally means Bendix style brakes where both shoes semi-rotate...

JT

randee wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The terms self energizing and servo action apply to very distinct brake features. An example of non self energizing brakes would be the drum brakes with wheel cylinders at both ends of the shoes. There are so many drum brake variations there is really no colloquial sense, just the correct terminology..................

For those who want to ponder - some of the best brakes were thought to be the all trailing shoe design - I think only used once or twice in Europe.

-- wf.

Grumpy AuC>

Reply to
randee