Finally joined the modern world(OT)

I got my first ever cell phone about a month ago,swore Id never own one of the damn things,but since I drive Harleys and Studebakers thought it might come in handy(G) The nice Lady at the store explained about 300 different types of plans,all of which blew over my thick skull,so I finally just bought a phone,and the way I understood it was anyone could call me long distance without costing me anything.So,ever since Ive had it,Ill call someone long distance and ask them to call me back(everyones got free long distance after 6pm and weekends on their landlines).Well,I noticed two debits on my credit card already,and as my son in Moncton was talking to me while we watched a play-off game the other night,I heard a sexy female electronic voice say"one more minute".WTF,I better get off this thing untill I find out more.Just got back from the phone store,its only free if someone calls me when Im in my LOCAL area,not anyplace the damn phone is,duh...So my entire allotment of free minutes for May are gone already. So,instead of nicely telling them to poke their package, I think Ill keep it,but try and get the rules down better. They ARE handy,and Im kinda hooked already(gave up my land line)

Reply to
Robert Black

I have resisted the cell phone urge for years. I just cannot understand why YOU have to pay when SOMEONE else calls you.

There are so many rules, caveats, and catch 22's out there that I'm just content to live in the past with one land line with absolutely no frills.

I will not become a slave to technology...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Are you in a contract with them? Since you probably won't talk a lot, you should be able to get a plan that will not cost a cent extra each month. Somewhere around $36 after all those taxes!

Reply to
Dwain G.

I am all cellular now, I have enough free "anytime" minutes per month that I could make 3x the number of calls during the day than I ever do, nights and weekends are free, LD is free, and the whole package is cheaper than my unreliable land line ever was. Any resistance to having it is easily worked around simply by not answering the phone when someone calls you that you don't wish to burn your minutes talking to. :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

With my plan, all incoming calls are free in my 'home' area and I have

2000 outgoing minutes free in my home area every month with anything after 8 PM and before 6 AM plus weekends not counting against those minutes. Included in the 2000 are 600 minutes a month that are nationwide (no roaming charges incurred) for when I am on the road. I've been on this plan for 2+ years now and have never had any extra charges on my bill beyond the normal monthly subscription costs.

I've been carrying a cell phone for 9+ years now and it is VERY rare that I take or make a call on the house phone any longer. I know I should just get rid of the land line but, so far, I've kept it.

Reply to
Lee

Why do you have a computor?

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Because the library threw his ass out Jeff

"Jerry Forrester" wrotet...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Lee, Who are you with... the biggest gripe I have about looking at plans is roaming fees. I got a surprise last summer when I went home and the bill came in on my work phone at around $300 vs. it's normal $22. Guess who paid for the difference... 99% of the toll calls were .99/minute. It's time for me to upgrade phones and switch plans and this sounds like what I'm looking for... no nationwide roaming.

I'm also looking to kill my landline but can't get myself to do it even though both of my sisters and their family have done it years ago. Here's an option:

Just removes the phone from the wall and plugs it into an antenna. For those who are having a hard time transitioning into the cell phone world:
Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

It all depends on how you will use the phone, but I have found the TracFone where you just buy time to work very well. I primarily got it to use when out and about in the old cars. It costs me less than $20 per month and I have yet to use all my purchased time so it just rolls over to the next month. Mike W.

Mike Williams

My plan with T-Mobile is $39.95 a month with 2000 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, free mobile-to-mobile calling, free nationwide roaming AND long distance. The 2000 minutes bucket is what is used from 7:00 a.m. till 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mike Williams wrote:
Reply to
Mark Anderson

Do you find that your minutes go by unusually fast? I've read horror stories about TracPhone users getting a wrong number and notice that the 15 second call too 30 minutes/units off their balance.

I'm looking at VirginMobile for the same type service... reviews are favorable, more than I can say about their hard to figure out website.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I too am cell phone free. I am considering getting a TracFone with a one year card just to have one. I always get a kick out of people talking about FREE minutes, roaming, long distance, etc. None of this is FREE. It is simply included in whatever plan that they are paying $30-$60 per month for.

Reply to
studegary

My wife has the Virgin mobile service. You can top it off and pay as you go. Seems to work OK. I stay miles away from it. Jeff

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

I use cingular, no roaming ,rollover and i also use the web service at an extra $9.99 per month.

being my girlfriend,and business associates are on the same network,99% of the calls i make are mobile to mobile, no added charges.

I have used att,verizon,worldcom,sprint.

Reception is great except going through a mountain range

so for around $60.00 per month i'm happy!

Reply to
charliestude

I got me a tracphone,t-mobile.buy as you go,and me being me best of all no contract to break,as I do'nt like being told what to do and when to do it,just ask my wife!

Reply to
63t-cab

Other than the basic monthly charge,

I don't pay for received e-mails I don't pay for sent e-mails I don't pay to post in newsgroups I sit at the computer about twice per day I don't carry it in my car, supermarket, restaurant(s)

IOW, a computer works for me. OTOH, cell phones can be relegated to being the equivalent of cigarettes in the 21st century...

JT

(Who has to get some credit for only annoying a few people on usenet..)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... I live way too far from the nearest library. About fifteen miles I believe..

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I have looked into getting the same type of travel coverage but have yet to find something to suit me. I would only call out in a dire emergency and phone would be "off" at all other times. I absolutely do not want to be liable for *any* received calls.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Robert Black

Well, to keep from being a slave to technology why don't you walk to the library. Any transportation means other than walking would be just too technologicaly advanced. I am sure that even those one horse power units were deemed too advanced at one point in time.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester