Forkin' around OT

Finally got the carburetor done on the forklift; it was a real pain for a little one barrel..'course it is a friggin' Zenith... Anyway, started it up today and it runs great. Forks go up and down, tilt, wheels turn, all the gauges and even the horn work, but no GO. It tries to move, but feels like the brake is on. I have no idea how to even DRIVE this thing; does anyone here know? It is an older Hyster, gas with hydrostatic drive and steer. It has a large pedal in the middle and a another pedal on the right that is gas, forward, and back. You "tilt" that pedal and press it to back up, just push for forward. That much I know as there are arrows for dummies like me.. Anyone know if the main large pedal has to be depressed to release the hydro drive? It does connect to a master cylinder..standard looking Studebaker under the floor cylinder that then has a line going into what looks like a vlave body. The cylinder was empty but filling it only ended up with fluid on the floor from somewhere deep down...The master cylinder looks dry. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

The big peddle is the clutch/brake. Press it part way down and it acts like a clutch, all the way is the brakes. We have a Hyster at work and that's how it is anyway. Does the 'gas pedal' sit like a teater-toter like on a hydrostatic riding lawnmower? If it does it sounds like you may have some trany problems. From what you discribe it doesn't have a lever any place for forward/neutral/reverse so it's maybe something simple like a hose or vavling.

Reply to
Dale J.

Could it be there is a mechanical parking brake or maybe a Micolock on it somewhere? Sounds like the drive train is indeed trying to push against a jammed wheel.

I tore apart a little Clark forklift, but it had a two-speed mechanical transmission, with a conventional clutch, and yes, a Stude-style master cylinder, too.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

transmission, with