Gasoline question

When I bought the '64 Daytona convertible the seller told me that he had filled the tank with premium gas. I always use 87 octane myself. When I took the top off the carburetor today to switch the accelerator pump the bowl was almost dry from just overnight. I haven't noticed that kind of evaporation with my other cars. Is premium (93 octane) more volatile than regular (87 octane)? I also always add Stabil to my cars that don't get run often. The convertible doesn't have any Stabil in it (yet). Could that account for the difference? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I would say premium is less volatile since it is harder to ignite. L.D.

Reply to
L.D.

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your carburetor problems. I have the WW that I took off of Rerun when I installed the Edelbrock last year. As far as I know, it's still good. You're welcome to it if you need it.

Jim Bradley

'64 Cruiser "Rerun" "64 Cruiser "Rainman" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Remove HAT to reply

L.D. wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bradley

Paul, are you required to use ethanol formulated gasoline in West Virginia? We are here in New Jersey, since April 1st. I've noticed since the switch that my carb bowls dry out faster than previously. The ethanol percentage here is 10% anthough a few stations offer up to 15% if you want it. My mechanic told me that Ethanol has two very distinct properties in fuel: 1-the power from Ethanol is far lower than gasoline potentially reducing fuel efficiency, and 2-it is an outstanding natural cleaning agent. He actually had asked me to talk to the other members in our local Studebaker Chapter and my local Packard Region to see if they are noticing any change in engine operation and performance. His concern was possibly small chunks of carbon partially disolving and breaking free throughout the combustion chamber and damaging cylinder walls, etc. Course, my cars get the annual water treatment every spring, so carbonization is held down quite a bit.

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120 Paul Johns> When I bought the '64 Daytona convertible the seller told me that he had
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Thanks George. That could be the answer. The car was filled in Cleveland which I'm would think has the re-formulated gasoline. We are in the Washington area Council of Governments and usually have to comply with pollution standards, but I don't think we have been forced to the ethanol. We still don't have emissions inspection though DC and Virginia (and I think Maryland) do. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

NY gets reformulated, and I have not noticed any issues.

Reply to
Bill Glass