Got Some Rain! (ot)

This last tropical storm (Barry) brought soem badly needed rain to northern Florida and southeastern Georgia.. We has a nice, steady all day rain yesterday. Received 3.5" yesterday... Perfect! Then, in the wee hours this morning the weather alert radio went off and scared the pee out of us all. Turned out it was a good thing, as there was a supercell on the backside of this storm and it was wrapping around and backsided us pretty good. Only lost a couple small branches, but we got

3.5" of rain in an hour. Being a sandy area, it all disappears pretty quickly, but it got real wet real fast .. I know the rainfall defecit is still there, but it feels so good to get a good soaking after the long dry spell we've had... Hopefully this was enough to snuff the SE Ga/ Florida wildfires.. Jeff
Reply to
Deepnhock

Storm came thru real fast. . . light sprinkle started on Friday at 1:30 pm and then it got just a little heavier all night. In the morning it got just a little heavier still but the southern sky broke open to a bright blue creating weir blue tint to the rest of the storm area. We had a couple of tree down in the area but not around my house, more in Tampa. Local Liqueur Store and Chinese Restaurant had their roof fall in but that was do to roofer not finish up the job right. By 11:30 am on Saturday the rain and clouds was gone.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtier

red clay mud is like walking thru fields of manure without the aroma of money

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Barry

We got a little but still could use a LOT. Saw some frogs last night for the first time this spring/summer. Not many bugs out for them, though. I have yet to cut grass at the shop. I recon I'm partly to blame for no rain as I had new gutters put on the shop a couple months ago..... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

It's been nice 'n' damp here... soon as it dries up I need to do some serious pruning, there's several trees threatening to take over the driveway and deck. I assume that the next step would be the house... I just installed an overflow pipe on one cistern yesterday just in time, because it's been full since sometime last night.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Coming home last night, in the wet, I came across a frog crossing the road that actually made me swerve. If I'd hit that thing it would've set the airbag off .. Jeff (He/she was that big...Really... ) Rice

Reply to
Jeff

Glad to see you are one of the intellegent ones. I don't like being awakened by the NOAA radio, but they have sure saved a lot of lives!

We are way above average rainfall this month... following a 3 year drought. The rain is wonderful, but as with anything, if there is an advantage, there is a price to pay. I lost a LARGE tree on the bank of the creek. Over the years the current has washed the soil away from the base of the tree, and a couple of days ago, it just laid down. Wish it would have fallen in the creek, but it had to fall in the yard. :-( Stillwater got 6.5-8 inches of rain Friday night, they still have roads under water. Perkins, 12 miles to the south, got a few sprinkles. I have mowed several times already this year, and don't mind at all. It's good to see the ponds and lakes full, and everything green and alive!

I sure hope so! I feel for the folks down there, and for the firefighters. I hope this gives our guys a break, too, they deserve it!

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

The grass finally did not crinkle like so much wax paper when I walked across the the lawn this morning. Rained most of the night last night. It sounded great and provided some slow down in the dry conditions we face here in North Carolina. The fields are so dry the farmers can't put in some crops including corn and soy beans.

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

I just wish they'd get a little more specific. Most of the time it goes off it is for someplace 200 miles away. This last time it was for a flash flood warning about torrential rains (backside of the tropical storm).... And the storm clous in question was only 20 miles north of us. Went outside and looked and it sure was! And it was headed for us. It did dump on us, but it wasn't too awful bad. Better at least that I knew to go look. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

May 23rd my mother on the west side of Hutchinson got 11 1/2 inches. It has rained so much here that the flood control dike is actually being used and the creek that runs north of my mom about two blocks has been out of its banks in various areas. The ground is so saturated that the water stood on top and the water table is so high that she has water coming into the basement through cracks in the floor. A neighbor had there basement sealed and the last time this happened the floor buckled so we are glad to have the cracks and just have to sweep up water rather than replace floor.

We have had two days with out rain and are actually getting some sunshine so hopefully it will start to dry out and the water table will go back down and then we can finish drying out her basement.

Reply to
Karin Gillette

You need one with SAME capabilities... or, you may already have one, and don't know it:

You are right, they can keep you up all night... but there is a cure.

If you have a SAME radio, this web site will tell you what frequecy to program for your specific county:

I live in the south west part of our county, so I do monitor the county to the south, as well as the one to the west, as that is generally where the bad stuff comes from. If your radio is not SAME, spend the bucks and get one that is. You'll get more sleep, but still be warned if needed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

We had a HUGE dump here Tuesday night that engulfed the entire city. There were LOTS of flooded intersections, and traffic was going virtually nowhere with all the road closures. It also happened to be the night of our STUDEBAKER MEETING! Many of us stayed an hour or two after it adjourned and drank beer, looking at the stalled traffic, and lights on flash. (Our meeting location is on the top of a hill and overlooks the main freeway and a few of the off-ramps). The northbound lane of that freeway (Deerfoot Trail) was CLOSED, as there was a spot where three or four cars were stalled with the water nearly up their roof. It took me a good hour and a half to get home, where it would typically be a 20 minute drive at night. A meeting night to remember!!

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

Many homes here were flooded and I left school about 3:30 and I drove through water over the roads in about 5 places to go like 6 miles. It had only rained for about an hour and ahalf by then. We had many roads flooded, many cars stalled with water half way up the side, (Tow trucks were a hot commodity that evening). We still have about a dozen roads closed due to wash out.

Good news is that the sun is out today and mom's basement has dry spots! YAHOO!

Reply to
Karin Gillette