Great Race: Wichita Pit Stop 2006

Last weekend the "Great Race 2006" came through Wichita Kansas. I took some pictures and have posted the link to them. All I can say is WOW. It was quite a event, they had closed Douglas street in downtown Wichita in front of Century II building. The race had a inflatable finish line for each leg. Also on hand were singers, The National Guard color guard. Sponser trucks like Coker tire and Hemming motor news. As well as national tv coverage. We where also part of the local car show the were parked on the sidestreet of Century II.

I also did a short interview with Ann Reichmann, driver of the 55 Studebaker President. As printed in our news letter. Malcom Gillette: What was your favorite pit stop so far?

Ann Reichmann: It was the little town we were just in, Fredonia. The whole town treated us just like we were family.

Malcom Gillette: What was your worst problem so far?

Ann Reichmann: We broke our key off in our locking gas cap, but there was a little sticking out so we could still get the gas cap off. And we found they still had new ones at the parts stores. Also we broke a power steering belt. Also the car has no AC

And all we have are the fresh air vents on the fenders. When it gets really hot they just pick up the hot air coming off the asphalt.

Malcom Gillette: Any stories behind this car?

Ann Reichmann: This is my first Studebaker,I love the way this car drives, not like modern cars. This car you have to plan when you are going to stop and think when you are driving it. I really enjoy driving this car, I plan to make it my daily driver when I get back to Washington State.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It was a great time and I hope the race goes through your neck of the woods next time, because it was so fun.

Gillette

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Malcom Gillette

Thanks for the report and pix, Malcom. Seems everyone had a great time!

Reply to
zoombot

Reply to
Malcom Gillette