Had a brake problem today...

Drove my '50 2R5 the three miles into town today; went to the grocery store. Unfortunately, I had a little problem.

When trying to back out of the parking stall, I only moved about 5 feet before I killed it. I realized quickly that the brakes were locked up. The parking brake was disengaged, but offered no resistance when engaging it. The brake pedal virtually no travel, and was extremely stiff. I took a peek at the master cylinder; everything looked normal. Lacking a better idea, I opened the little petcock on the rear passenger side, and about a 1-2 teaspoons of fluid oozed out. This apparently solved the problem; the brakes seemed to function normally as I drove around the parking lot a few times.

Obviously, any problem when the brake system is cause for concern. I've looked through the shop manual, the NG, and the SDC forum, but I've found no leads.

Ideas?

-Dutch

Reply to
Dutch

Jeff Rice

Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a shot.

Man, I love this NG...

-Dutch

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Dutch

Your Parking brake also might be stuck on, and cause the drums to overheat, expanding the fluid. By bleeding, or dumping fluid everything might feel right, but since yout E brake handle offered no effort to pull it, that indicates that the cable might hav snapped when the E brake locked up.

Check it out......thats how the Hawk went on fire........... no effort to pull handle, drove it for quite a while, and whamo, stiff brake pedal and then fire.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Actually, that's one of the first things I checked; I was able to operate the parking brakes at the wheels themselves, and the cable was perfectly sound.

It has yet to happen again; I suspect Jeff was right about the master cylinder rod. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

Sucks about the fire though. Damn. :(

-Dutch

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Dutch

Reply to
midlant

cylender, directly under the filler cap, you can see a very tiney hole. It is about .010/.015 " in diameter.If that hole gets clogged it will produce the symptoms you describe. I have seen these holes that look like someone started to drill a hole by using a center drill and then did not finish, but there is a very small hole in there. I have used a small piece of wire to clean mine out. I hope this helps, Doug

Reply to
dougwhitesr