Happy "Snurdley" Memorial Day Report

On this Memorial Day weekend, I thought fellow NGers would appreciate an opportunity to remember our late friend Tom "Snurdley" Stephany with some good news about his son, Michael. Wife Cari and I just got back from an Open House celebrating Michael's 18th Birthday AND High School Graduation, both of which occurred Saturday, May 27, 2006!

Michael, you may recall, took his father's December 2004 passing pretty hard, losing his Dad, with whom he was close, at only 16 years of age. His Senior Year at Mooresville [IN] High School had been anything but easy, so his graduation represented more than a routine accomplishment for this fine young man. We found out tonight that Michael is also an Eagle Scout. In fact, a full 4% (!) of his high school graduating class were Eagle Scouts, due to an active Scouting Program in which Michael and his friends had grown up, and with which Father "Snurdley" had helped through the years.

Michael will attend Lincoln Technical Institute in Indianapolis this fall, an excellent school of deserved acclaim here in central Indiana. He will major in Diesel Engine Mechanics. He took the entrance exam a few weeks ago and they told him his was the third highest score (!) of all the prospects taking the exam that day. He didn't know how many prospects there were because they weren't all in the room at the same time, but it sounded like a sizable group. So # 3 is quite an accomplishment.

Many of Michael's official Senior Photos included him with what is now his 1963 Lark Cruiser, "Snurdley's" three-speed, column-shift, Champaign Gold car that was a hit at the 2004 SDC International Meet in Charlotte NC. Michael is taking excellent care of the car; I'm sure it is in better shape than the last day Snurdley drove it. Indeed, it was shined to within an inch of its life for the senior photos, and the pair of them looked really nice when professionally photographed. Many of the photos on display at tonight's open house included Michael AND Snurdley AND the Cruiser!

It was good to see Michael doing so well after what has been a tough 18 months. He's looking forward to starting Diesel School at Lincoln Tech. Given the genetics and the inclinations he inherited from his Dad, he'll likely do very well.

It's all too easy to get on with our lives and quickly forget people we say "we'll never forget" when they pass away. So it was nice for all this to come down on Memorial Day weekend, a good time to remember our friend Snurdley, an active Serviceman as well as a great Studebaker friend.

I'll take the liberty of telling Michael that all the NGers wish him well when we see him AGAIN this coming Saturday, June 3...when Snurdley's daughter Donna (Michael's sister) is getting married! Bob Palma.

Reply to
bobcaripalma

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
Daytona HT

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper) 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (White) 63 Avanti R1 62 Daytona HT 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 53 Starlight
Reply to
John Poulos

Great story with a happy ending.

Dustybob