Has anyone heard of this to get better mileage?

Claims that 1-3 oz of this will increase mileage. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

It may or may not help...even if it does...unless you get if for free.....you're still spending more money for the can of acetone!

Reply to
Mike

Acetone will give rubber and plastic parts hell.

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

While I would never intend to disagree with anyone on the NG, and while the article is long and has several links to other sites, this is what he said about rubber and acetone:

"In early 2004, a SmartGas reader in New York State filled three bottles with: pure acetone, part acetone/part gasoline and straight gasoline. Into these he placed O-rings, pump diaphragms, plastic fittings, hose parts and other neoprene/n-buna stuff. He duped my experiments from back in the 50s. Months later he told me the pure acetone bottle was slightly darkened and some vinyl parts swelled. Dave had carefully marked all the parts beforehand. He dried the parts to mike them again and noted after six months that the growth was about two-percent to five-percent in the bottles with gasoline, which was well within limits. Almost unnoticeable. He put the stuff back into the respective bottles where it may still be today. Dave has a background in physics and engineering. I suggest testing parts as mentioned above, in 1, 2, 5, and 10 % mixes of gasoline and acetone. This is up to 200 times more concentrated than what we use in real life. No sense being ridiculous.

He believes that everyone should do their own testing and not listen to the prejudiced opinions or words of others. There is way too much misinformation out there."

As for cost, ain't no free lunch, so I called my friendly neighborhood Home Depot. A quart of this stuff is $5.69 and a gallon $13.47, plus

8.25% TX sales tax. If gas cost $3 and there was a 10% increase in mileage, you'd save .30 per gallon. If you got the gallon of acetone and used 2 oz per 10 gal of gas, (the guy says 1 oz but his graph shows that the maximum savings is with 2 oz.) it would cost a little less than .023 per gallon to treat it. That would mean a savings of .277 per gallon. If it only saved 5%, still would save almost .13 per gallon. Add in correct tire inflation and a decrease from 75 to 65 mph, I feel I could easily get over 30 mpg in my van.

Using Ethos, reducing speed and driving with the AC off (still not too hot here in TX) I averaged 27 mpg last weekend on my way to OKC in my

96 T&C Chrysler, that previously got about 20. On the way home, I was in a hurry and drove 75 with the AC on and still got 23.3. While that is not exceptional and probably any one could do better if they tried, if I REALLY could get over 30mpg, that would be an increase of 50%, with just a few changes. I'll letcha know in SB next weekend!

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

It takes awhile (or just jump to page 11) but these guys say it DOES NOT WORK.At least for them. DARN! John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

Acetone will increase the octane, about a 1/2 quart in a tankful, anymore then that, and you'll have "holes" in the tops of the pistons! If you really want you screw with somebody, pour in a gallon in the tank! Jim (don't ask me how I know) Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

You used to work for Mythbusters?

nate

(can you introduce me to Kari? I've got a thing for chicks that can weld.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Now I knew there was a reason I bought that locking gas cap last week.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
oldcarfart

Not sure... I don't think I've pissed anybody off lately. I think it's more subtle redneck bling for my truck. Kind of like the trailer brake controller I put in it last night... now all I need is a trailer with brakes and I can see if it works.

Lee

Reply to
61hawk