HELP NEEDED, installing windsheild and back window on a 50 champion. with stainless.

Hello, This saturday i am going to try to install my windsheild and back windows on my champ. I have new one peice gaskets for the windows from studebaker international. I also have stainless trim for the back and front. I am using a one peice windsheild from a 51 for my front window.

Looking at the gaskets this is how i figured they install, hold window on the inside with rubber installed on it and a rope in the grove for where the car goes. pull rope ti get window gasket seated in the grove of car. Install sdtainless by carefully slipping it into place?

Do i need adheisives, are there any tricks, is there someone in wisconsin i can email or call for help if i get in a bind. Thanks Ed

Reply to
FortyTwo

Thanks, I know its confusing because unlike most gasketed windsheild my most definitly is pulled from the inside out. Everyone i talk to has only done the outside in style. looking at the rear glass i just cut out of a car and the gasket the glass sits on the inside side of the car. Ed

Reply to
FortyTwo

The stainless goes in the gasket first, then install the windshield. You'll never get the stainless in if you put the glass in first.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I have heard this but then i have to pull the stainless through the window opening? Ed

Reply to
FortyTwo
Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Installing the glass and stainless is not a job for those of the faint at heart or novices with weak stomachs. Professional glass installers run and hide from this job... The 'thin' stainless on the 50 Champions is best installed with a cord AFTER the glass and rubber goes in. I use two different sealers on the glass and still have trouble with leaks; repop rubber is not so great. Books have been written about this..and this is a job best left to the people who have done a few. Check around in your area and local chapter and if you are not a member of a local chapter then good friggin' luck... Join SDC and a local chapter! Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I've never done a 50, but is it different than the later models? You will never get the stainless in the rubber of a '57 if you try to do it separately.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Yes, 50 and earlier is different than the later ones. On the later cars you CANNOT put the stainless in AFTER the glass and rubber is in, the stainless goes into the rubber before the whole mess goes in. NOT an easy job and many (most) leave out the stainless or use the rubber without the channel. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Oops...I meant that the EARLIER cars are the ones that people leave the stainless out on or use the rubber without the channel. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George
Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

First, I don't think you can put the one piece windshield in a car that had two separate glasses. Anyway, here is a copy of the instructions that PPG supplied to Studebaker. Getting the stainless in is a monumental task!

Dwain G.

WOW, Thanks for your help, Just so that you know.. THE CAR WON ROUND ONE I am going to take these instructions to a professional i found and we are going to redo it. I ended up going with a 2 peice windsheild and this guy made the glass so i don't need the center bar.

and Thanks for the instructions, i tried it but failed i am hoping my glass guy can use these to do it right. At this point i have the rear window in but not properly. Thanks Ed

Reply to
FortyTwo