help new to studebaker world

Reply to
Barry

How many miles are on the car?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

there is approx 70262 miles on the odometer. We are going to look for a manual for the engine and learn to do it ourselves. we are trying to rebuild the carb and cant seem to find the kit to do it with. its a carter afb

3507s
Reply to
samskee

The AFB was widely used with many brands of cars and a kit should be very easy to obtain. If the car is superecharged, a vendor here should respond with kit availability which for a R-2 would contain additional seals.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I would think a store like NAPA could get the kit, but Studebaker vendors have them. My first choice is to call Myer's Studebaker in Duncan Falls, Ohio- 740-674-4897. The AFB is a very easy carb to rebuild. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

i tried advance auto they could not order it, carquest told me studebaker came with strombrough carbs and napa ordered me one for a wcfb ( or something like) which was wrong and i had opened it before i realized it was wrong so that was 32 dollars of learning. i ordered one from

samskee

the 2bbls were Strombergs but your car has an AFB... WCFB was only used through '62 model year.

it'd be nice if the FLAPS could keep their books right, but as you have learned sometimes it is a challenge.

nate

Reply to
N8N

first thanks for all the help. i'm in the military thanks to "a business trip" i am now resuming my quest. I have rebuilt the carb. but thanks to a workshop manual realize i have to take it a part again to put some sealent to some parts. thanks to the guys who told me where to find the numbers to identify the engine. Instead of finding what was told to me i found on the right side of the engine a 2 above the following numbers

1554641 so i googled it it could be a 259 or a 289 any ideas. the car started but no brakes waiting on a master cylinder to arrive. if it is a 289 can i still use the avanti shop manual to work on it.
Reply to
samskee

The engine number you need is stamped on a pad on the top drivers side just to the front right of the cam galley cover. It should start with RS if It's a R2.

samskee wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos