How would this thing work?

tem

How would that make the wheel come off?

Dave

(The other, other one...)

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

I read the instructions on the box, screw it on and whack with a hammer. ( early 20's Studebakers)

So. Ga. Cruiser wrote:

John Poulos

But would it WORK?

Dave

> How would that make the wheel come off?>> Dave

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

It could work, but I wouldn't bet on it with tapered axles. It would take some very hard blows & maybe some heat. It looks like an oversized lawn mower flywheel puller!

Reply to
Barry

tem

How would that make the wheel come off?

Those things have been around since the wheel, they work on the theory that the sudden impact will loosen the taper's grip. From my personal experience they seldom work as advertised.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Those were known as 'axle knockers' in the auto repair trade of yesteryear. I inherited several of them when I bought an old-time shop in 1972. The theory is: screw the knocker on the axle you want to remove, jack up the opposite side until that wheel is off the floor, release the brakes, whack the axle knocker with a BIG hammer. I have only used these as thread protectors when using the standard three- leg pullers.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Reply to
midlant