Installing the Pertronix ignition on my '64 Hawk

I'm installing the ignition thingy into the distributor and a new Pertronix coil. The old coil said "use with an external resistor". The new one has that built in. I don't see any resistor anywhere in the engine compartment. What am I missing? Is it built into the wiring from the ignition switch? I don't need 2 resistors.

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

By the way, the instructions for the new coil say it should be 1.5 ohms. It registers 1.7 and the old coil registers 2.1. Are they near enough that I don't need to worry about the resistor?

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

The Pertronix needs full battery voltage to operate properly, so you definitely need to replace the coil with a non-resister type. Then, look at the wire attached to coil + terminal. If it is pink, it is a resistor wire, and that too should be replaced. I think R engined cars had a Black/green non-resistor wire to a ballast resistor and from the ballast to the coil. On those cars you would only need to bypass the ballast.

Reply to
Dwain G.

You may have a resistance wire in the harness, not sure. If the coil primary wire is pink and feels different than the other wires in the harness it is likely a resistance wire, you need to run a new wire from the ignition switch in that case.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Well, it doesn't matter right now anyway. They sent the wrong kit. It was for the dual point distributor. Talked to the tech at the factory, says they don't have one for the Prestolite IBP. So I can either just put the points and condensor back in (I'm still gonna use the new coil) or get a Delco.

I think of it as an adventure.

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

You should use the "Flame Thrower" coil from Pertronix along with the distributor module.

JT

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm gonna...that was my original question.

I bought the super coil along with the Pertonix unit. (The Pertonix unit that DOES NOT work with my distributor.) THAT Pertonix super coil has the resistor built in. The instructions for that coil say you don't need an external resistor.

On the other hand, the Prestolite coil (the one that was originally on the car) has a notice printed on it, "use with an external resistor" I don't see a resistor anywhere in the engine compartment so my original question was: Is the coil resistor built into the wiring from the ignition switch?

So it looks like I need a Delco distributor so I can get a Pertonix unit that will work. What models used that one?

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

Use the new coil and most likely, your car has a "pink" wire from the distributor to ignition switch. Replace it with a conventional wire.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire