Insurance (OT sort of)

OK, ok I know this has been addressed many times but some of us are slow learners. I need to review the insurance coverage on my old cars. I am interested in the experiences had by others before I purchase. I currently use the same insurance company I have for my other cars and I know there has to be better deals then they are giving me. So, good or bad what's the word? Anyone have an experience that has bonded them to a particular company? Or has anyone had an experience that would make them run from any particular company? Thanks MikeW

Reply to
Mike Williams

"Mike Williams" wrote in message news:wLudnR-lsYHPAADZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I have carried my antique insurance with J. C. Taylor ever since I had a really bad experience with Grundy (agent) Chubb insurance in 1983. I have never made a claim against Taylor, but they have been easy to deal with. Bad experience- run away from Grundy/Chub. I had my cars insured with them. In 1983 I sent my 19-year old son to a local lumber yard to pick up a screen door. The only vehicle I had that could serve that purpose was my 8E-7 Champ (long bed) pickup. Since my insurance policy allowed "occasional other use", I didn't see any harm in that use. When my son was returning the very crummy 8E steering failed (shaft broke off in the box) which caused him to have a relatively low-speed head-on collision with a new GMC pickup. The investigating officer called both trucks totaled. The Champ truly was totaled and the other truck was badly damaged but repairable. Fortunately.injuries were minor. My son was not cited, but for insurance purposes was considered at fault. The other driver was an old man who needed the truck to drive to cancer treatments several times a week (150-mile round trip). I started calling the insurance people right away and got the run-around immediately (call another office, etc.). I had to call four different places before anyone would bother to acknowledge my coverage. Then, the other man waited more than three weeks for Chubb to ok repairs. I was ready to pay for them myself just to get him taken care of. He was very decent, but numerous members of his family started calling very frequently. Ultimately, the insurance company paid for my truck (stated value) then immediately cancelled my coverage. I wrote to the State Insurance Commissioner with little apparent result, but six months later Chubb sent me a letter agreeing to reinstate me if I would sign an affidavit that NO ONE but me would drive the covered vehicles. Of course I had immediately applied to Taylor and had their insurance immediately. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Check with AON insurance, online. They are quick to respond and very professional, in writing the policy. I haven't had a claim. Their rates are similar to but a bit less than Taylor.

Reply to
The Other Dave

Paul, The compulsion builds up in me with every tale you relate. Now, simple question, how about a simple answer. Was your ship ever in a collision at sea or grounding when you had the conn?

Karl Paul Johns> > OK, ok I know this has been addressed many times but some of us are slow

Reply to
midlant

Uh! No, they didn't let me drive. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Ok I have to say this and its my opinion ok...If they needed either of you to drive the ship, I know you would do that without a problem...From what you both have to share here talent wise any person can see you know your way around the ocean's of the world...

Lansing

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

I think, (starting to wonder) the question I asked was in regard to auto insurance. How do these things deviate to navigating a ship? If anyone else has a comment, good or bad regarding antique car insurance I would like to hear it. But you might find it better to respond to me off the NG. Thanks for the two who did answer. Mike mogul494(at)comcast.net

Reply to
Mike Williams

I had J.C.Taylor insurance from 1969 to 1999. I had from one to six vehicles insured with them, primarily Studebakers. I didn't have any problem with them until then. That is when I bought my first modified Studebaker. J.C.Taylor would not insure it, even though I had been a good customer for 30 years. I understand that they will now insure modifieds, but they missed their chance with me. I went with Hagery Ins. I dealt with a Westchester County, NY agency that was a problem. There has been no problem with Hagerty. You can deal with them directly. I now go through my local agent that also handles my everyday cars and home. They deal with several collector cars insurance companies and prefer Hagerty. The cost is the same going through an agent as doing it yourself, but the agency also handles everything for you. Also, the agency was able to get the Hagerty liability limits raised to match the limits on my everyday cars' insurance.

Reply to
studegary

Mike,

I use AON (the old K&K) for four of my Studes... Fair prices and the customer servie seems good. I've never had a claim but a few friends have and were treated well.

The mileage restriction is gone (used to be 5k per year). The only real restrictions are that ALL drivers who use it have to be 25+ years old and it must be for PLEASURE use (no going to Wal-Mart and leaving it in the lot). However, if it at a car show or similar sanctioned event (zone meet, Int'l meet, etc) it is covered anywhere you park it.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I also use AON (the old K&K). $105/yr. for $16K coverage on my Hawk. Just make sure you ask for the most coverage when you sign up. I changed my policy last year and upped coverages and it didn't affect my premium at all... kind of made me wonder why I wasn't at those levels in the first place.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Yeah, I can't remember what I upped... I think it was the property and medical coverage and when I asked how much more... they said nothing, that I was still within the minimum premium.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Insurance Companies offering Collectible Vehicle Policies...

Automobile Association of America (good old Triple-A now has it)

Acorida Insurance Services, (800) 648-1600

American Collectors Insurance, (800) 360-2277

Condon & Skelly, (800) 257-9496

The Gorsline Company, (800) 805-0034

Grundy Worldwide, (800) 338-4005

Hagerty Classic Insurance, (800) 922-4050 (seems to be the preferred insurer)

Heacock Insurance Group, (800) 678-5173

J.C. Taylor Antique Auto Insurance, (800) 345-8290

K&K Insurance, (800) 548-0858

Leland West Insurance Brokers, (800) 237-4722

Parish Motorsports Insurance, (800) 274-1804

Reply to
WayneC

While this applies only to Canada, and is therefore of little use to you, I have been very happy with the "Silver Wheels" plan here. It is based on an appraisal as to value, with photos--which costs $75.00-$100.00, and then you are covered for that loss value plus liability. You cannot use the vehicle for work, or to commute, but if I take my Wagonaire to work to drop off at a garage for some repairs, I'm covered. They have two types of insurance, one for "antiques" as such, over 25 years, and another for "specialty" vehicles (including modified), under 25. So, I have two separate policies, one for the 63 Wagonaire and 49 Kaiser, and another for the Peugeots (86 diesel wagon, 87 gas turbo sedan). I'm not limited to something like 2,500 miles a year, or only in parades and other organized events--I took the lawn tractor to be fixed in the Wagonaire (because it fit with the roof open) and I would be covered. I use my other cars for fun, shopping, whatever, and some years put a lot of miles on them. I'm also covered for 12 months of driving--in other words, if I HAD to drive the Kaiser on a salty road in January, I could (I did, once) but like, duh!, you just wouldn't do that normally, would you? I'm automatically covered if I buy another car that fits under either policy, even before the appraisal. The Diesel wagon doesn't quite have its appraisal yet...

My gazillion kilometer daily driver 94 Toyota costs (a lot) more for limited collision/short rural commuting coverage "regular" insurance than the four others all together. (about $200/year) With Silver Wheels, since it is organized by and for car hobbyists, the idea is that if you go to the extent of getting it formally appraised, and having lavished love, money and lots of polish and sweat equity on your "baby", you are a better risk (and likely more careful) than a latte-drinking/cell-phone-yaking soccer mom/dad in the SUV

Jim Bartley on PEI

"studegary" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
George

re: Paul's Grundy Agency horror story......have no way of knowing what it would be like in the event of a loss: Grundy had my policies for

25+ years, but never had a claim but were OK to deal with - specially in the "old days" when collector policies were hard to come by. would comment:

I have a good friend who is an agent and has my homeowners, umbrella & regular cars.......he asked about the old cars so I took my Grundy/Chubb policy to him: "Oh, Chubb.......you don't want to change that - Chubb is the best."

my friend later took on Chubb and I switched the policy to him. It's nice to save money, but in the event of a loss (cars, house or anything) there is no substitute for a local agent.....hopefully one you know. They can expedite a claim, fight for a fair settlement, etc.

Jim C

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Hagarty has been very good for me, a buddy got screwed by a collector ins. company out of Cherry Hill, N.J. years ago when his vehicle was stolen from in front of a diner while returning from a car show and stopping for a meal, they claimed a fine print line on policy stating vehicle always having to be in line of sight while not in home garage.

Itsfrom Click wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart