intake manifold clamps?

Anyone else have problems with the intake manifold clamps cracking when attempting to torque them to spec? I've had my intake off and on quite a bit while fitting everything, and after destroying quite a few clamps I have just stopped using a torque wrench and tightening them "snug." Would NOS ones help, if they could be found? Or would it be best to just get some big, beefy washers and be done with it?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The Other Dave

Reply to
John Poulos

torque wrench, smorque wrench. Tighten it until it stops turning.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Oh, you SO should not have told me that...

nate

(how do I get ahold of this guy...?)

The Other Dave wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

use the stout 6 cylinder clamps....

Ray

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

torque to yield, eh? wow-they were ahead of their time , just do it e a s y, no need to musclefuk it.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Lionel Stone has them in Stainless and they fit (:-)

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Reply to
jimmijim8

Yep... Limit torque wrench use to head bolts, rod/main bearing bolts...

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
John Poulos

John Stanton in Lebanon Oregon makes the stainless clamps. They're a nice engine detail item as well as being very stout. I think they're the same ones sold by Lionel Stone, but you can get 'em direct from John.

S2DSteve

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
S2DSteve

Ah feels yo' pain but chilluns never learn from list'ning, 'xperience and often suggestion...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I sure hope so, it's almost new. I haven't rigged any weights to test it tho...

nate

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
N8N