It's finally home

Flew up to Sacramento this morning, Sal met me at the airport and took me to his place to get the 63 Daytona I bought a few months back. I had shipped a spare brake booster a few weeks back and Sal was kind enough to install it for me. Brakes worked fine, car drove well (but noisy! gotta do the weatherstripping thing soon). I don't know how fast I drove as the speedo is toast (cable turns fine, I discovered - had to disconnect it as the speedo was making expensive noises) but I guesstimate 75MPH cruise (2800RPM on the tach). The powershift works fine, handling will be fine with new bushings in the front end, power steering works and the radio is even functional (but hard to hear over the wind. 375 trouble free miles.

Great car, great potential - thanks, JP and Sal!

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Whew, i was worried about you, we'd put maybe 50 miles on that old gal.

"All of a sudden a rod started knockin'; Down in the depths she started a rockin'. I looked in the mirror and a red light was blinkin';"

Pat Drnec wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

That many miles in a day in a Daytona? You must be exhausted. Glad to hear it went well.

Dave In South Ga.

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

Are you kidding, Dave? I put several 700-800 mile days in with my old '62 Daytona convertible. It was actually a better driver than most of the late model stuff I've had or driven.

Sold it after 10 years of ownership about 2 months ago.... As far as I know, the new owner is still glad he bought it.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I suspect he was. That trip is cake once the car is a known driver, but that car had been sitting for a few years and who knows what was ready to go south.

Lee wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Pat Drnec

If the speedo was just growling- and the needle bouncing wildly... it should just need a good lubricating. Just puch a tiny hole in the brass plug on top the fitting that the speedo-cable screws to. I use Tranny Fluid, air-tool oil, or Marvel. Usually lasts a year or so before needing lubed again. I have an eye-dropper for doing that. The speedo in Linda's Hawk has been doing it for years (~7-8 yrs and 70K miles). Especially when cold. But, when it's lubed- it quits completely.

Ray

Reply to
Studeman

Reply to