Just bought a 1965 Daytona!! Please comment!!

Saw a 65 Daytona sitting on the side of the road for sale a feww days ago. Negotiated a price and now a new owner. First Lark (It is a Lark isn't it?) i ,ve owned.

1965 Daytona 283 Chebby w 2 barrell Automatic Flight o Matic (I believe 2 Door Post car Brown Car wirh Brown Vynal Top Dual Exhaust Bucket seats (Brown Cloth) with Center Console Power Steering Seats and door panels just recovered

ANY comments on this car both positive and negative will be appreciated. I really don't know what I plan to do with the car. I bought it on impluse. I already have a

57 Gh (Fair condition) and 55 Commander (Rusty condition) got to admit It is a very comfortable ride compared to my GH

Drives out good.

Reply to
Paul Brewington

Sounds interesting, Paul!

Technically, it is NOT a Lark. No Daytonas after 1963 were known as "Larks." It is a Daytona Sport Sedan, the only Daytona model offered in

1965. Yes, Flightomatic.

If it is running and driving and not too rusty, do the mechanicals and enjoy driving it! BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

For 1966, that's true, but there still was a Daytona wagon in 1965.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Ouch! Ya' got me, Craig! Right-o. Have you ever noticed the widely-distributed "factory photo" of a 1965 Daytona Wagonaire in a setting on a front lawn, probably taken at The Proving Ground, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the car looks airbrushed to make it a 1965. Of the part of the wheels that are visible (around the edge, behind the full wheel covers), one wheel is white and another is black! BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Can't say I have, Bob. I've only seen much smaller pictures of it reprinted in TW, history books, and classic car mags, et al; and not a full resolution

8x10 photo like what you probably have in your collection. The detail would be lost with smaller pictures and in being reproduced by a PMT process. And what really is there to airbrush on a 1964 Daytona Wagonaire to make it a '65 other than the Cruiser-like side trim? Makes one wonder why they'd want to retouch the wheels.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Oh, I don't think they retouched them, Craig; it was just a quirk of some sort that the car wound up with two different color wheels on the same side.

That VERY PICTURE is on Page 9 of the August 1988 Turning Wheels. Look it up if you have a copy. The front wheel is distinctly black, but as small as is that print in TW, it's harder to tell that the rear wheel is white. However, I've seen a much larger, glossy print of that same photo and remember staring at the wheels and wondering why or how they first got what was probably a Hamilton-built 1964 Daytona Wagonaire with two different color wheels and then, as you say, air-brushed the side trim to "reverse" the brushed versus blacked areas from 1964 Daytona trim. (Or maybe it wasn't even a Daytona to begin with and they air-brushed-in ALL the side trim and a Daytona nameplate!) I doubt that we'll ever solve all these mysteries...BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Ya lucky Bastid the later Larks (I own a 64) drive like a dream compared to say my 55 wagon, and no they wern't called Larks anymore, unless you were lucky enough to own a Super Lark.

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

I doubt that

You almost wonder just how far they really wanted to go with a re-design for

1965. If you have the PD65-04 color brochure handy, look REAL CLOSE at the green sedan on the back cover. Check out the white side trim, hood ornament base and the sail panel emblem....

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

I like the looks of them. If it has flanged Axles it is a mid year or later model. The early ones have tapered axles.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

While you're looking at the '65 brochure, look at the front bumper guards on the black Cruiser on the inside front cover. One is bent in at the top. Musta been a wild day the photo shoot!

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

So that's why the driver is shown sitting in the BACK seat of it on the next page! Notice she's not staring into the camera after that nasty deed?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Reply to
Young Captain

This thread reminds me of all the things on the Sargent Peppers album cover.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Are you trying to imply there are some 'hidden messages' within this thread. The Sgt. Pepper cover was full of them!

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow