Just got a thought (hubcaps)

Somehow this popped into my head... back in the day I had a '49 Chevy that I had visions of turning into a street rod, unfortunately I didn't get it done before I graduated from high school etc. so it ended up sold because I didn't have time to work on it in college and when I got out I needed something a little more practical... anyway, I just realized that the stock wheels for that car had the same kind of clip-on hubcaps that a Stude does, except as I recall they were riveted to the wheels.

Here's my thought... someone, somewhere has to have repro'd the clips for those wheels. I wonder if I got a set of those if I drilled and tapped some holes in my MoPar cop car wheels, and attached these clips, I could run stock style '53-55 dog dish hubcaps? I think that would look pretty cool. Anyone tried this?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate, I have an old Chevy pickup rim, and those clips are riveted to the backside of the rim, with the business end of the clip coming through a slot.

I have also seen Brand X rims with 3 spherical-head rivets serving as hubcap mounts. They basically rely on the spring tension within the hubcap itself to hold them on. This wouldn't be too hard to duplicate using bolts with the heaqds ground to a spherical shape, but you have to get the hole locations JUST right....experiment on a scrap rim first.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond