Lark gas mileage

What kind of fuel mileage could be expected with a '62 Lark 4 door with OHV 6, 3 speed with no OD, and 3:73 rear? My uncle is wanting to drive it to work everyday. How much would adding OD improve the mileage?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

It would depend upon all highway, all city, or a mix of both. Best case would be about 22 mpg. Usually, the overdrive equipped cars had a 4:10 axle. The one guy I knew that added overdrive to a six with a

3:73 axle, felt it was too tall. After riding in the car I agreed. It would really strain on the slightest hill. He said the mileage didn't improve much, but the noise factor was reduced, because it didn't sound so busy.
Reply to
keith_kichefski

Hence grows the advantage of switching to a 259 V8.

My old '63 Lark four door got up to 24 mpg highway/mpg around town with a 3.07 rear axle and automatic.

You would be hard pressed to find a better combo than that with the exception of the '55 V8's which were more streamlined and had lock up trannies.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire