Lark Radiator Hose Clamps

How did Studebaker get the original style radiator clamps to work on the hoses without them leaking? I put them on the R2 Lark and the only one that hasn't leaked so far is the upper radiator hose on the radiator side. I had to use modern screw type clamps to stop the leaking.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

John Poulos

I ALWAYS use Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket on all hose connections. It is a black brush on gasket sealer that never really dries but it does do a hell of a job holding hoses in place and sealing up leaks.

Reply to
Lee

I've been told that the new hoses are thinner and more flexible than the originals as well.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I think that the problem lies in a combination of things.

1) New manufacture hoses are a different compound/material than originals and I believe are also thinner and have a surface that slides/slips more easily. 2) I think that the new repro clamps are lighter weight/smaller diameter than the NOS original clamps that I have used. I still see Studebakers around with their original hoses and clamps in use.
Reply to
studegary

Do you think with the aviation gasket sealer in place Lee mentioned I could trust the new hoses with the reproduction clamps? I would hate to be heading to a State Meet far from home and lose a hose.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Speaking for the professionals.....those spring type clamps have been used by numerous makes for years and they still are. It saves a manufacturer a few cents and a bit of labor by using them but in 20 years + of shop work I have never used them not even for a fuel line. It just isnt worth the chance of a come back or worse eating a job because of some part that costs less than a quarter.

Yes it may cost you a couple points in the judging but It aint worth it not using a worm gear clamp.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid