Learning curve

As some of you know, I have been 'experimenting' with a Zip Van transmission conversion in my Hawk. Working sporadically when time (and my tranny 'guru's' time) permits. It looks like it may finally be done... Was it worth the effort? In all truth, probably not... UNLESS...you have paid nothing for the needed stuff and your current tranny is dead or dying and you are stubborn.... I recon I fit in all those categories. I now have a car that starts in first gear and also downshifts into first gear like a modern transmission and have learned a LOT of stuff that I most likely will not use very much in future. The down and dirty first gear start (valve body switch) will be fine for most if they change the governor and make some important adjustments and even better if they do some internal mods. Moral of the story, think real hard before trying to re-invent the wheel...although this wheel seems to be rolling along quite nicely... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Good 'ol mander.... I recon I never will get properly thanked for his 'redirection'....... FWIW, I just got back from a very long and tremendously enjoyable ride in the Hawk with the long suffering experimental Zip Van transmission. About eighty miles touring our beautiful county including many stops at favorite small watering holes and visits with many old friends. Stereo blasting out Danny Gatton and a day with picture perfect weather. Some people want to go fast, I just plain enjoy cruising in Studebakers. What a great day! Studebaker George PS Jeffy, make YOUR reservation as I won't take any excuses for not seeing the yaller truck in October!

Reply to
Studebaker George

I believe Nimesh installed some steel sleeves in a Zip Van trans and it worked really well except that it leaked just a bit. . . .

Reply to
Curtis
Reply to
Studebaker George