Lee D. scores big

I do plan on keeping this one around for some time to come!

As far as making it nice again, I am going to keep it as stock and original as possible.

I am not sure of the Algonquin IL part of it.... This car has been in the Cassopolis MI area since at least 1977.....

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I think JTR was wrong on a few issues here, John..... Looking the car over, it was definitley Blue Mist originally. I'm also not sure about where the Algonquin IL location came from either but, the old guy's estate it came from had the Michigan title dated 1977 and the family assured me it has been in MI since then....

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Oh well... it looks like it fits in the car so nice, I guess that would be the reason :/

nate

(sick of lean> I remember it being the specially bent bench seat round lever but I

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Cool find Lee! It confused me at first because someone put the oval

1964 style R2 badges on it. It looks like what I have started out with on my 1963 R1 Wagon.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

It is home now and I feel a LOT better! .... Having it sit up there at the auction site overnight scared the hell out of me....

Went up this AM and got Rich's car loaded and the 20 miles to his house and then I came back, winched mine on, and was on the way home.

It is definitely a stock shifter in the car and feels pretty good, actually.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

There was some confusion on the car at the auction... it is NOT a full package car (too early, I believe) and does not have the rear suspension goodies (but may get them). Also, the '64 badges and the fact that the blower and 4-barrel are gone made a lot of people think it was a clone of some sort.

I ran the numbers on the car and the body, VIN and engine all match the title and what the car is to be. I am a VERY happy camper...

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Well Lee, what are you going to tag it when you get it done? The PBW, (Plain Blue Wagon) It's going to make one hell of a sleeper.

Reply to
Ron Butts

"Camper"... speaking of campers, I bet one would look very nice behind that thing. I wonder where you could find a half done project camper... one that was originally produced in 1963 in Indiana just down the road from where the car was made???

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Lee,

I have a copy of the build sheet for 63V-15359 -

P6314 Silver Mist

14-327 BV interior code, blue vinyl 20 Four Speed 27 Tinted Windshield only 33A R2 engine 37 Disc and power brakes 42 Undercoating 43 Tailgate step (!) 44 Electric rear window 45 Hillholder 47 H/D springs F/R 50 Twin trac 56 670 blackwall firestone tires 60 Climatizer 63 Elec washers 72 radio ? Front bumper guards sold rush

The interesting thing to me is the engine number, JTS1403...my car came from the factory with JTS1404! Unfortunatly, I have no idea where it is.

Eric '49 2R-5 (original survivor) '63 R2-Lark (barely surviving)

Reply to
Eric DeRosa

Damn Lee,

The LAST thing I need is another project!

I cannot believe, after 10 years, I am seriously going to sell my ragtop. I was never emotionally attached to that car but it has been a lot of fun and always thought I'd have it around here. Guess I need to get one of the other three done now so I can keep a drop-top in the garage.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Holy Cow!!! Thanks for the information on it!!!

I did not look for or realize it had (or may not still have) a hill holder. That will give me something to look for in the morning.

There are a few bits that I need to find for this car. The previous owner traded the supercharger, bracket, carb and intake for a 2-barrel set-up for fuel economy (go figure) and the distributor was replaced with a standard V-8 unit. Luckily, I have a NEW R2 distributor, in the box, thanks to a good friend and will be able to come up with the blower and intake bits. I'll probably have to have Dave T build me an R2 carb for it unless I can find one otherwise.

I did notice the six-leaf rear springs under it (about the same thing I put on the ragtop and what the cop car has... ).... man, those make a difference!

I did play with it a bit this afternoon after I got it home. It now turns over fine and has 25 psi oil pressure at crank speed. Tomorrow, it will get new plug wires (the mice ate all but one), a remote fuel tank and a set of points. I want to hear the old gal run once again. The last year it was plated was 1979 in Michigan... I am told it was still used til a few years ago as a field running car on the farm.

The electric rear window seems to work fine... the step was missing off the tailgate but I bought 2 of them at the auction... one of them was probably off this car! Also, the raido, lights, blower and wipers all seem to be in good working order as well.

The rear quarters have a small amount of rust and a few dents on each side... LUCKILY, I bought an NOS set of wagon rear quarters at that same auction for $15~! The other guys who were interested in them laid off and told me that they 'deserved' to be on that car.

As far as restorati>Lee,

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Dang Lee, you must have machined yourself a copy of JP's lucky Studebaker finding horseshoe!!

Reply to
transtar60xxx