Leo's R&P mounts

Alex wanted more pix of the mounts. I just added 5 more to My Webshots ablum.

Jerry Forrester

Jerry,

This looks like a fairly straight forward rack & pinion set up. Is this the Phantom system?

Thanks

Reply to
kelmbaker

Jerry,

Are you trying to make us all jealous?

Dave Miller So. Ga. SDC

Georgia Studebaker

No, not Phantom. This uses a center steer (stock length Stude tie rods that hook to the center of the rack) rack & pinion from a '85 Buick Sky Hawk. I first put one on the 500 Caddy powered '53 Stude Cp. about 4 years ago and I thought it was my unique idea but I have seen other Studes with a similar setup using this same R&P, but all installations so far have been different. These R&P's are designed for the tie rods to mount on the front of the rack. But I move the R&P as far forward as I can (so far in fact I have to fold down the flange on the back of the lower control arm) and build a bracket that curves around the bottom of the rack and mount the tie rods on the back of the rack. This makes the steering shaft from the rack to the column a lot easier to do and also gives more room for the oil pan. jf

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Great looking pictures. Wish I had seen something like that 6 year ago before I did a Fatman klip. Sometime do a close up of how you did the bracket for the tie rods in the center.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Could you use the rack in a Lark or sedan body by mounting that way? I know that engines set farther back in C and K bodies than they do in sedan types.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

will do ASAP. jf

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Yes, I am pretty sure it'll work in a sedan or Lark type body. BUT, I haven' tried it. jf

Reply to
Jerry Forrester