Long nights

Last night was the weirdest and lonliest night I have spent in years. Sitting in the shop with loaded guns by my side and nothing at all on except a small fan. Finally fell asleep around four and the crew up front woke me up when they fired their trucks at five. Tonight I may turn on EVERYTHING and tell the sheriff that I will be working all night. I have spent nights in the shop many times; once for almost a week while I tore out a wall and the power box at the house. Didn't bother me then but that was some time ago...and my dog at that time was fearless. Good news is that the phone line should be done tomorrow and the alarm company said they can install the system Thursday morning. Tonight and tomorrow should be the last nights of guard duty. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

George,

Sorry to hear of these troubles. It must produce an intense feeling of violation.

There's no better protection than a couple of good-sized, mildly aggressive dogs.

Dave Miller, South Ga. S.D.C.

So. Ga. Cruiser

George - You need a cot in there! You'd be sleeping lightly, for sure.

Reply to
TomNoller

A big Amen to that. We have a Mastiff/Lab mix that lives in my shop. He has full run of the shop, offices, and outside fenced in area. He is the sweetest little(125 lb) creature (a regular Dr. Jeckle) until Robert and I leave and lock the doors. Then he turn into a Mr. Hyde and when anyone tries to get in or even knocks on the door he tries to come through the door to get 'em. Haven't had a break-in for the last six years. Oddly enough, that's how long Buddy has been staying with us. In my building I have 5 overhead doors and 2 walk-in doors on one side and the double doors in the front then there's on walk-in door in the back that goes to the outside fenced-in area. All these doors stay wide open all day long (while we are there) and the only door Buddy will go through is the one leading to the fenced-in area. He'll lay in the middle of all the doors with his front paws and nose sticking out and sometimes his butt but he stays in the building. It's funny to sometimes see him laying in the middle of the 12 foot wide open fence gate with his front half outside the gate and the back half still inside the fence. J

"So. Ga. Cruiser" wrote in message news:YiQzg.112409$1i1.105817@attbi_s72...

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

Reply to
dwcars

Cops have a very good sense for who they are dealing with.

Reply to
Dave's Place

George. I know that there are good cops and bad ones. When I was run over by some thugs that were dumping parts from a chop shop on my propperty the Joliet Police refused to investigate because they do not investigate traffic accidents. We claimed it was attempted murder and if I would not have been close to the hospital and the good doctor at the emergency room would not have been able to bring me back to life,it would have been murder. We had to keep calling the police and no action. The parts of stolen cars that were dumped here had VIN numbers on them. No one ever came to look at them or try to lift prints. Look at all the cop shows on TV. They feed us a steady diet of bull that the authorities are on the ball,investigate crimes and bring the wrong doers to justice. Look at all the TV shows and think about what they want to show us. Think independently a be critical of the propaganda diet.

Reply to
rkapteyn

My dad always taught me one thing for protection. The gun can never be big enough.

Reply to
58packardwagon

Try running for office on the platform of raising taxes to get enough staff to actually go after the baddys. Bet the only people who would vote for you are those who have been hit in the past few years and a few pof their friends. That would include me.

The son of a friend of mine was on the force that covered Boirmingham, the second largest city in England. One night there was only one bobby covering the whole northern half of the city!

Karl

snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Reply to
Robert Black

That was then. Merry Old England has deteriorated .. A lot.

At least from the news reports. The only people that seem to get prosecuted and punished are the ones that actually stand up to the rat packs of criminals.

I liked England, but I would never want to live there.

Mark (Happiness is a loaded gun) Dunning

by " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" Aug 1, 2006 at 11:46 PM

Try running for office on the platform of raising taxes to get enough staff to actually go after the baddys. Bet the only people who would vote for you are those who have been hit in the past few years and a few pof their friends. That would include me.

The son of a friend of mine was on the force that covered Boirmingham, the second largest city in England. One night there was only one bobby covering the whole northern half of the city!

Karl

Reply to
markshere2

Good ol' GB, Australia 'n Canada took the guns away from the law abiding masses so now only the cops and lawbreakers have guns. Guess who gets the short end of that stick...

JT

(Sleeping well in TX)

markshere2 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

How in the world do you hold Bush responsible for the Aussies and Canadians "taking guns away from law abiding citizens"?

I know they have much stricter laws on registration, but does that REALLY equate with "taking them away"? When you say that, I think of the Nazi's marching up, kicking in the door and confiscating EVERY weapon they can find.

Bob (yeah, I'm armed and dangerous, too...but I'm not paranoid about it!)

Grumpy AuC> Good ol' GB, Australia 'n Canada took the guns away from the law abiding

Reply to
Bigbob62

Bob, You are getting paranoid .. When he typed GB, he meant Great Britain, not George Bush ...

"Bigbob62" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Canada has not actually confiscated any guns, AFAIK, except of course in the ordinary run of police work, where say, they do a drug bust, and find weapons as well as narcotics. Same thing as happens Stateside, I'm sure.

Our present government has pledged to end the hated long-gun registry, and I do believe they will do it. They have already starved it for money, budget-wise. Handguns have been registered since the early '30s, and nobody is too exercised about that.

Britain, OTOH, did confiscate a slew of firearms. I'm sure they only got the "legal" ones, though.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

A friend of mine in the pellet-gun business in England mentioned that most gun deaths are from shotguns, now.

Karl

Karl Gord> >Good ol' GB, Australia 'n Canada took the guns away from the law abiding

ordinary run

"legal" ones,

Reply to
midlant

ordinary run

Handguns have been

"legal" ones,

Yes. I could get one if I really wanted one. Join a target shooting club, get a firearms acquisition licence, take a gun safety course, yada, yada.

Used to be, if you held a free miner's certificate, you could carry a handgun in the bush for bear protection. That has pretty much gone by the board. But one can still legally own a handgun. Of course, if you are a criminal, no pesky licences are required.

Thing is, one cannot claim "protection" as a reason for wanting to get a handgun. One has to have a reason to own one, and permissible reasons are basically either being a bona-fide collector, or being a target shooter.

I don't think the government has ANY clue as to how many black market handguns there are in the country, other than every gang-banger they arrest seems to have one. I'm sure if I wanted a black-market pistol, I could get hold of one in a few days for a few hundred bucks.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond