Lubricants Shmoobricants..... On and Off Topic Rant

What is the latest thinking for automatic tranny fluid for our cars?

For Studebakers, I prefer Type "F" for a firm shift but is Dexron IV backward compatible with the earlier types.

I used the "Ask An Expert" at Castrol about this regarding the automatic in my 1982 Honda Civic that operates exactly as does a Flight-O-Matic. Honda specified "Dexron" in the owner's manual and I guess that meant the original Dexron I.

This is the answer I got from Castrol:

*******

"Thank you for contacting Castrol,

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer.

According to Castrol's lubrication guide the 1982 Honda Civic automatic transmission requires a specialty lubricant. Castrol does not offer an alternative. Please visit your local Honda dealer to obtain the appropriate product.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

*******

I replied via email with, "No, Honda recommended the original Dexron and what would be its equivalent today?

This morning, I got a call from a customer service drone that repeated the above. When I asked her what fluids would old US cars use such as Studebakers, etc with automatic transmissions that used Dexron, she could not provide an answer.

So, are our cars obsoleted? The Honda tranny operates exactly as does a Flight-O-Matic... Governor and pressure. No electrical stuff whatsoever.

What's to become with all of us who fiddle with old cars???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Normally I don't get into these topics(BS factor is too high) but there are exceptions. It doesn't have anything to do with "how" the trans operates, it is the materials used in the clutch disc and seals. Using the wrong fluid can cause them to deteriorate or delaminate from the metal part of the disc. All of the dexron type fluids are "supposed" to be backwards compatible but not the other way. Dexron fluids are not always compatible with the materials used in older transmissions and can cause serious( read expensive) damage. Lamar

Reply to
Lamar

I take your point well and just find it amazing that a large national company almost sounded clueless. I'm going to send an inquiry to RedLine. They always reply in detail.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The amazing part is they are clueless. There is no such thing as "customer service" any more it is just dodge and evade so hire some one who doesn't have a clue, doesn't want a clue and couldn't use a clue if you emailed it to them. Normal business practice these days. Lamar

Reply to
wbutler

I did send an inquiry to RedLine and in the past, they have provided detailed responses so we will see...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Here's the answer that I got from RedLine:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Honda automatic transaxle I would recommend the D4ATF, a suitable replacement for the original Dexron ATF used.

I used to work in a Honda shop when those Civics were new, that was a few years ago now! One of my buddies has a Studebaker, though we are trying to convince him to get a Model A."

Needless to say, I clued him in regarding Model A(s)...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Good points...

The Honda tranny in my car appears to be "old school" as is much of the car. Since Honda (at the time) recommended Dexron only, I (hopefully) figured that later versions of this brand were backward compatible.

I have had the "new-to-me" Castrol Dexron IV in since early September and am not experiencing any specific problems but the fluid that was replaced looked pretty nasty. Now, I feel that it is time to change it again with the "right" stuff whatever that may be.

BTW, my Honda expert has worked mainly on this brand for over thirty years. I'm sure that between all of the info that I gather that a good decision will be made. I really love that little car, the gas mileage it gets, the reliability and the basic simpleness of the design. It really is not hard to work on at all and is a gawd send in this age of high gas prices.

But, the 1983 model year is my cut off point as after that they (along with everyone else) got "Check Engine" lights and a host of other electronic gadgets.

I like living in the past...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Almost a good answer.(G) I'm not knowlegeable about redline products but it was a creditable response at least, that is points for them. Lamar

Reply to
wbutler