Mail From Ebay? OT

Howdy Troops,

The following showed up in my inbox today. It's supposed to be from Ebay. Anyone know if it's real or a scam to get my info?

"Update Your Account Information Within 24 Hours Valued eBay Member, According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be suspended within 24 hours for investigations.

Never share your eBay password to anyone!

Establish your proof of identity with ID Verify (free of charge) - an easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner. The process takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your eBay information. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID Verify icon in your feedback profile. Currently, the service is only available to residents of the United States and U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam.)

To update your eBay records >> Click here 32$&($ 8 MR1$V X-M+!*MH#(H06#8TTU5NJ@PN7 M(J$U[..P)V#8C(PY;0X*>*_+>&GH\.O8D4AHC)RRW,7)'SRXC;O5!071H MN 0

Reply to
62V 15210

It sounds like horseshit to me, they would have addressed you by name, not as "Dear Valued eBay Member". Screw them, if it is real they will keep it up and make attempts to better ID themselves. Calvin

62V 15210 wrote:

charge) - an

process

Designated

Reply to
oldcarfart

Whenever you (all of us) get anything whch seemingly comes from any firm and ask for IDs, passwords, SSN. and so on, we shpould not reply using their supplied link. Instead, contact that firm / group by going to their website (make sure it's not a dummy that they sent you) and use their "contact us" to ask that they confirm the message by USPS. They have your address if you are a member. The big-guys state that they will not contact you in a general manner like you got.

Thieves are very inventive.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Send ANY and all emails from Paypal or eBay to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com THey will tell you if its real or not. I get at least 4 or 5 a week.

Please send them so they can figure out who is responsible for them. Thats the only way they will find out. If you delete it, thats only good for the bad person. David

Reply to
VWandSTUDEBAKER

Forward such emails to spam@ebay

Reply to
The Other Dave

Actually, it's

snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com

The Other Dave wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

ITS A SCAM forward it to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com watch what you get back from e-bay

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

There are a lot of scams out there for both ebay and paypal...if you have any questions the best bet is to open a seperate window and go to either site and look up the information or you can forward the email to "spoof at ebay dot com" or "spoof at paypal dot com" I spelled it out because google cuts them up if you post the link Ron

Reply to
RoddingRon

i got one from ebay i put any number in and it worked so it was a scam looking for your card info and it must work that is why they do it

Reply to
j.shavish

Correct me if I'm wrong - but shouldn't you first forward it to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com, THEN block the sender before you delete his stupid scam!!???!!!

Reply to
hoxiepoo

Reply to
John Poulos

I've got several of those lately claiming to be ebay and paypal. Suspecting it was a scam, I sent 2 each to ebay and paypal. I haven't heard a word from either. They apparently aren't very interested. They should at least let you know they got the e-mail. I'm not sending anymore.

Reply to
L.D.

That's odd - I've gotten a reply to every one I've sent.

L.D. wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Same here- two yesterday. Did you address them to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Here what I get for each one from ebay:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished" messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit information such as your credit card number or your email password. If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, open a new Web browser, type

into your browser address field, and click on the "site map" link located at the top the page to access the eBay page you need.

If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com. Do not respond to it or click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or change the email in any way when you forward it to us.

If you have already entered sensitive financial information or your password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the following Web page:

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites, we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard." Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard go to

click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received. Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande eBay SafeHarbor Investigations Team ______________________________ eBay The World's Online Marketplace! ®

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips at:

For our latest announcements, please check:

In order to better serve you, we'd like to occasionally request feedback on our service. If you would rather not participate, please click on the link below and send us an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line. If that does not work, please send an email to the email address below. Your request will be processed within 5 days.

mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com

L.D. wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I just got one of these, purporting to be from eBay SafeHarbor, telling me my account (?) had some transaction "out of order"

For some reason Mozilla Thunderbird wouldn't display the headers, so i clicked on "view source" and unscrambled the HTML into text. Came from yada.yada.AR Where the H*ll is that?

Anyway, I copied and pasted that mess into an e-mail to

And, no, I didn't follow the damn links.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Do not copy or paste anything.

All you need to do is hit the button forward the program will automatically copy the entire message including the ISP data and transmit it to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com cutting and pasting does not supply them with the info needed.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Thanks fellers. I thought it was not from Ebay. The message has been forwarded. Y'all are the greatest!!!!!

Glenn

Reply to
62V 15210

I have always gotten a reply from ebay or paypal when I have forwarded the email.

And as far as blocking it really doesn't help much as they seem to change the address slightly and they keep coming.

Reply to
Karin Gillette

I wonder why I never got a reply from either of them? No one else has said they didn't get a reply form either paypal or ebay. The first one I tried to forward it and it wouldn't forward, so I copied and pasted it into word and then sent that. The last one I tried forwarding it and it went. L.D.

Reply to
L.D.