Maybe OT (maybe not)- Peak Oil

I picked up this link on another NG- kind of scary reading. How long will we be able to drive our Studebakers (or any other vehicle)? Anyone want to shoot down the theories expressed?

excerpts: "...Few people realize how much energy is concentrated in even a small amount of oil or gas. A barrel of oil contains the energy-equivalent of almost 25,000 hours of human labor. A single gallon of gasoline contains the energy-equivalent of 500 hours of human labor. Most people are stunned to find this out, even after confirming the accuracy of the numbers for themselves, but it makes sense when you think about it. It only takes one gallon of gasoline to propel a three ton SUV 10 miles in 10 minutes. How long would it take you to push a three ton SUV 10 miles? ... According to ExxonMobil, the amount of energydistributed by a single gas station in a single day isequivalent to the amount of energy that would be produced by four Manhattan sized city blocks of solar equipment. With

17,000 gas stations just in the United States, you don't need to be a mathematician to realize that solar power is incapable of meeting our urgent need for new energy source that - like oil - is dense, affordable, and transportable. ... In 2003, the US consumed 98 quadrillion BTU's of energy. A whopping .171 quadrillion came from solar and wind combined. Do the math (.171/98) and you will see that a total of less then one-sixth of one percent of our energy appetite was satisfied with solar and wind combined. Thus, just to derive a paltry 2-3 percent of our current energy needs from solar and wind, we would need to double the percentage of our energy supply derived from solar/wind, then double it again, then double it again, and then double it yet again. Unfortunately, the odds of us upscaling our use of solar and wind to the point where they provide even just 2-3 percent of our total energy supply are about the same as the odds of Michael Moore and Dick Cheney teaming up to win a 5K relay race. Despite jaw-dropping levels of growth in these industries, coupled with practically miraculous drops in price per kilowatt hour (95% drop in two decades), along with increased interest from the public in alternative energies, the percentage of our total energy supply derived from solar and wind is projected to grow by only 10 percent per year. ... First, there is the problem of production costs. According to a recent article in Fortune Magazine, a barrel of oil produced via the thermal depolymerization process costs $80 to produce as of January 2005. To put that figure in perspective, consider the fact that oil pulled out of the ground in Saudi Arabia costs less than $2.50 per barrel, while oil pulled out of the ground in Iraq costs only $1.00 per barrel. ..."

Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

\

snip

To put

Seems to me that we got it all wrong.

Doesn't going to war include a plan for victory and an accompanying plan for reparations?

Seems to me that a lot of the $1 per barrel oil should be heading our way... On long term fixed price contracts!

JT

(Convinced that government cain't do anything right...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That is assuming that warfare & foreign policy are being conducted in America's interest, something which has not happened often in my lifetime.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"
Reply to
Barry