My La Carrera Pictures and a hunt for '53 body parts

Here are my pictures from this year's La Carrera Panamericana:

Plenty of Studebaker content, but not for those with weak stomachs. Two beautiful bullet-noses are totally destroyed and a '53 gets turned into a '52 if you know what I mean. Also an E-Type Jag went off a 300 foot cliff. The roll cage failed and the co-pilot was seriously injured (he was reported dead a few of days ago then miraculously upgraded to alive with a chance of full recovery yesterday). We raced a '54 Olds and took 3rd in the Original PanAm class. I'm working on a website to tell the entire tale -- including pictures from other guys in our group and I promise I'll post a lot of Stude content including pictures of one of the Bullet-noses going off a bridge and landing upside down in a river.

That said, I'm also looking for two front fenders and a hood from a C/K. One of the regular top contenders in this race, Jerry Churchill has finally seen the light and wishes to build a '53 Studebaker. He is determined to win this race and has come close on several occasions with his previous vehicles -- '63 or '64 Impala and most recently a '54 Olds. I've been talking to him and his builder to find the various parts they need to complete the project and the major problem is getting a couple of usable front fenders and a hood from a C/K. If it comes down to it, Hawk fenders would do in a pinch. This will run in the Turismo Mayor class powered by a 6 Liter Brand-X (I DID suggest a

289, but he wants the extra 80 cubes) and probably be capable of 150 MPH. I'm going to sign him up in the SDC and hopefully get this car out to a zone meet or something before next year's race. This is a hot project and the plans are to have this car finished in February -- no fooling, this is a hot project. If anyone can point me at a source for these parts, I would really appreciate it. You can send me an e-mail at bobwaitz#!#!#hotmail.com (cleverly replacing the #!#!# with a @

Bob

Reply to
BobWaitz

Panamericana:

S2BAKER

I would LOVE to see an Avanti, a Hawk, or a Lark compete in this race. I think a properly set up Lark or Avanti could do very well in the Historic "C" class (55 to 64, V-8). One problem is that no supercharged vehicles are allowed, even if they were produced that way from the factory. If they allowed that, nothing would be able to touch a Studebaker in that race! As it is, you tend to see a couple of

50/51's with Brand X motors and a slew of C/K's -- mainly because they are the most aerodynamic body available for the Turismo Mayor class. One really cool car is the white '52. He runs it every year and his car is powered by liquid propane! I even have a picture of him filling up on the first day.
Reply to
BobWaitz

It sure is a shame about the wrecked '51!

Reply to
Barry