Need Brake Part Info:

Need Brake Part Info: Removing the rear axle, see other post. In the process, I am taking the opportunity to check out the rest of the undercarriage.

Three Questions so far (63 Studebaker Avanti): (I already have check all the Studebaker catalogs, paper and on-line, so reference to them is not helpful :) )

  1. what is the manufacturer/manufacturer's part number for the rear drum brakes? I need this for x-ref at auto parts places. Their books do not list "Studebaker"
  2. what is the part number for the nut that connects the brake line to the brake backplate? This was rounded and I "finished" the process.
  3. what is the part number of the bleeder? It is missing. I found the following, is it right?

Thanks!

Reply to
63Avanti

For the "nut" that is a standard tube nut, but you should probably replace that whole section of line (not difficult) the rear shoes are #173 and unfortunately I don't have a part number for the bleeder screw. check the interchange on my web site for part numbers for other little pieces parts.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The drums are 11" Studebaker only. We stock these at $130.00 each. New. Good used $80,00 each. limited supply. Bleeder screw is part #1558192 Joliet Studebaker snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
RBK.

Odd that a bleeder screw would be missing. Quite likely it is broken off, with part of it still stuck in the wheel cylinder. If so, it's easiest to just replace the cylinder complete.

Reply to
Dwain G.

yup, I agree, I missed that part. However, if this is a car you're going to keep "forever" rather than replacing the cylinder with new, you might want to look into having it sleeved with brass or stainless steel, that will last longer than a new one.

nate

Reply to
N8N

thanks for the assist, and to prove that no good deed goes unpunished, there is an additional question at the end.

clarifications and a new question

63Avanti wrote:

clarification. I am looking for the OEM, in the hopes of finding the xref for the OEM, as the 4 parts stores around here do not cover Studebaker on their computer/books, except for major replacement parts such as brake shoes

yes, it is a coupling, thanks for the correction, and the suggestion to replace the entire line (about 1 meter)

oops!!! I just got the following part number, 1558192 Bleeder Screw, which is it?

  1. What is the part number (and source) of the expanding clip that hold the parking brake cable in the brake backing plate? Also, is there a way to remove the parking brake cable without destroying the clip?
Reply to
63Avanti

You may want to replace both lines on the rear axle. On my Avanti, I used a 20" on the left, and a 40" on the right. There are some tight bends. I used a pliers type bending tool. The junction block is angled sharply toward the center line of the car. The upper end of the flex hose goes to a bracket that offsets the mounting point from the hole in the cross member that other models use. It's all to clear the larger exhaust pipes. There's a special "double D" socket, made for shock absorbers, available from Eastwood, that fits the Avanti brake adjusters. They have the tube bending pliers, too. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Q.E.D.

Reply to