Need brake shoes for 65 V 8 Commander?

Hi guys, I am in need of a set of brake shoes for the front of my V8 65 Commander... the HD part number is: #1558522.I don't know if this is the right number or not... I have the big brakes on the front (11" ID drums).. I have tried to find some locally but all AZ comes up with are too small ID.. Also, I need a screw and lever (#1558502)for both front brakes and both link setups for the adj. levers(#1558511)...

Please email me soon if you have a set... or any of the above parts... I am needing them before next week. Special thanks to "Sal" for helping me out with a steering wheel!! NG'ers are the best!! Thanks in advance, Mike M.

63Champ
Reply to
Mike M.

Someone has suggested... NAPA... I tried them this morning... didn't have the brake shoes... plus I didn't even get a SMILE!! I think I must have scared them pretty bad... Also.. the shoes that were on the car are long gone.. so can't have them relined.. Regards, MM

Reply to
Mike M.

Call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker and he will be able to supply everything that you need. Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Go to Stude.com and look for Chuck Collins in the vender list. He should have everything you need for your vehicle and he ships fast!

JT

Mike M. wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The shoes you need have a rebuilder number of 177. They are unique to Studebaker and some Checkers. They have been very hard to get for many years, with some vendors charging $50 or more for the core charge alone. Unless you can score some good used items, from a sympathetic hobbiest, maybe it is time to consider a Turner Brake upgrade. It would be expensive to replace everything you need, since everything is missing. If your drums are in good shape, especially if they are of the finned variety, you might get a decent price for them as they are hard to get too.

Reply to
keith_kichefski

When you order front brake shoes make sure you get original asbestos lined shoes. The shoes that are supplied by most vendors have a non asbestos lining. These linings are to hard and crack when used hard. The brake pedal pressure to stop the car is very high because the lining is very hard.

I agree,go to Turber brakes and dual master cylinder setup. The live you save may be your own and many others.

Bob Kapteyn Joliet Studebaker

40 years of parts experience snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
Reply to
RBK.

Thanks guys for all the great "brake" info... I found a local guy in OKC that relines shoes... I should have them back day after tomorrow.

Regards, Mike M.

63Champ
Reply to
Mike M.