Needed: Lark six torque converter

Looks like my current project got outta hand, I need a new, rebuilt, NOS or excellent used torque converter for a 1963- 64 Lark six with aluminium auto trans. Needed ASAP!

Thanks Kent

Reply to
hawkman56

check Hollander's to see if Ford item interchangeable.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Ford used a 4-bolt mounting on their F-O-M trans converters, while Stude used 6 bolts to mount it to the flexplate.

This was a cheap car I bought and suddenly its getting expensive quickly. Semms to be the case with all projects though. My girlfriend Kate keeps saying wouldn't it be cheaper to buy something that already works....but that kinda defeats the purpose of having an old Studebaker!

Kent Fedor

Reply to
hawkman56

Kent, You didn't say why you needed the convertor, but now might be the time to consider something else. Reason I say that, I have had a few of those aluminumn transmissions and they are miserable no matter what brand of car they are in. It is known as a Model 35 Borg Warner. Ramblers, Volvos and a few others have tried them. From my experience, they tend to loose reverse and NEVER upshift properly. The aluminum bellhousing tends to crack on a Studebaker, or the threads pull out, because the weight from the transmission is unsupported. If I had to do it over, I would source everything from the back of the block out from a '61 to '62 six cylinder car. Also get all of the throttle linkage as it applies to a '61-'62 six automatic. These were the cast iron transmissions, similar to a V-8, yet they start in first. The transmission, convertor and bell housing from a '58 to '60 also would work, but you would need the '61-'62 OHV

6 throttle linkage and a transmission pan used with a dipstick. For what it is worth, the Heavy Duty option for the '63-'64 typically used in the taxis and police models, was the earlier cast iron unit.
Reply to
keith_kichefski

Kent The 1963 used two different torque converters. The first 825 cars built used the AS20-8 trans. later ones used a AS8 -35 trans. Different converters. The later one I can supply at $250,00 N.O.S. The earlier ones maybe used. Robrt Kapteyn Joliet Studebaker Service snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

815 722 7262
Reply to
RBK.

Yikes! A quarter million? Jeff