New lamb in the flock, sorta OT.

Just came in from doing a little servicing on the newest addition to my fleet, an International B414D tractor. It's made by International in England, and has a 4 cylinder Diesel engine, I think a Perkins, though I'm not certain. Also has an International 2000 front-end loader on it, a 3-point hitch, and power steering.

I used the loader to move some snow today, although the snow is melting fast with a warm South wind.

I got the oil changed, and lubed a mess of grease fittings, tightened the fan belt, and got its little generator genning. Needs glow plugs and switch replaced, but they came in the box of parts that came with the tractor.

Seems to run real well, needs mostly basic maintenance, and some paint. Steering is sloppy, looks like both the steering box and the control valve have a lot of lost motion in them. But nothing that promises to be too hard to make right.

It's got good rubber, by the way, and the rear tires are filled with calcium chloride solution.

May come in handy for lifting Studebaker engines, and for moving gravel for my shop construction.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Or otherwise known as rim-rotter solution. Took me about a year to find replacement 12x26 rims and decent tires for my '41 Case S tractor because the originals were rusted through around the valve stem because of calcium chloride.

Now I see a guy I've dealt with has a pair of NOS ones on E-Bay for $185 each. But then I'd have to order and wait (up to three years last order) until the order got large enough to buy some 13.6 x 26 tires for $475/each.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Yep, I know cal-chlor in the tires can cause rust. Rims on this one look OK. If I ever have to demount the rear tires, though, I'll lose the liquid. Until then, I'll leave well enough alone.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Sounds neat Gordon.. I have become addicted to watching this one show on the RFD channel

that shows homemade (on the farm) AG technology
show is based out of Regina, and shows the ingenuity of the Saskatchewan and western Canada farmers farmers.I get a huge kick out of some of the stuff they build. Every time I see some wacky machine, I think of you ...(I still have family in Regina, Calgary, and out in BC, so I like to watch what goes on up thataway..)Jeff

"Gordon Richmond" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

They have this language convention called "venery," which is the art of naming groups of things. A pride of lions, an exaltation of larks; you've seen it. I think "a mess of grease fittings" is really appropriate. Probably should be "a mess of Zerks" though, unless they're those...other...fittings.

If you have good inner tubes, calcium chloride won't give you a problem. There ought to be some kind of ethical standard about putting it in without installing tubes.

I recently escaped the Red Tractor addiction (went over to the Green side). Some swear by them, others swear at them, but finally you swear off them.

And, just so it gets said, we were Deeply Hurt after reading the header and not finding out that Gord was just back from Brasil with the StudeBourbon. Course, Gord didn't tell us where he drove the IH home from. This is like the first guy to ask "Hey Ulysses--where you been?"

Reply to
comatus