Not Studebaker but car related

My neighbor is looking for some 150 weight gear oil for the trany in his '36 F*rd coup and is stumped. The only place local that he has found it so far wants close to $150 for 5 gallons and another $50 to get it here (expedited). He only needs about a gallon or so and is stumped.

Anybody out there have any ideas on a brand or source (store or on the net) to pick some up or know of a suitable alternative? Any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Reply to
Dale J.

90W140 won't work? that seems to be fairly easily available, at least around here.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Dale J.

I am courious to see the spec he is using, but try Tractor Supply for some GL-1 and add a can of STP to it.

Dale J. wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

From what he has found, I don't know where, the car had 140 weight in it from the factory. The car used to belong to his father-in-law who got it from his father who had it since new. He's worried about the multi-grade oil since it came with just the single grade he wants to stick with it if he can since the car is in really good shape and he doesn't want to burn anything out.

Reply to
Dale J.

probably a 90-140 as 140 would not be good in cooler weather. GL-1 with one can STP per gallon (warm it ((the can of STP)) up so it flows better), GL-4 for rear axle and 15W40 or CG grade 30 weight for engine. The 15W40 will provide quicker lube pickup and distribution thru engine with less load on oil pump when cold.

Dale J. wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Calvin, I think that they're talking just tranny - or does that jave* a pump?.

Dale, Is the drain plug in such a location that it could be replaced by a heater to warm the oil to operating temperature before moving off?

*pronounced with an "h" in SoCal!

Karl

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
midlant

He doesn't drive the car in colder weather or in the winter, just in the summer for shows and the odd weekend holiday. I don't know what he uses for the engine or rear end but the trany had 140 in it so he would like to stick with it to be safe. He may end up using the 90-140 thow.

Reply to
Dale J.

Not sure about the plug location. He just had the trany out to do the clutch and want's to change/top it up once it's back in. he drives it only in the summer so it thicker oil wouldn't be a problem and it called for 140 originally so he wants to stick with as close to original as possable since it's never been a problem before. The car has a good size (not sure of the CID) V8 hooked to a 3 speed so power isn't a problem either.

Reply to
Dale J.