O.T. News Server

Since my LEC has once again been sold, my DSL is transferring everything from the Earthlink managed Sprint setup in house. The new system does not offer news service, nor do they plan on doing so.

This sucks, although I transitioned away from ISP based mail accounts long ago, (I've used Mail.com for 10 years) I've had my Earthlink accounts for a very long time.

Mind you, the price of my DSL service doesn't change, I'm just loosing my years old mail addresses, my 10MB webhosts I've used forever, my dialup account and access to a news server.

So, I need recommendations on News servers, I despise using the web based setups, and I really only read alt.autos.studebaker and alt.php

What's the current story on Terranews?

Is there better service to be had?

Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Oujdeivß

Oujdeivß

Teranews had some issues a while back but I still have my subscription. It seems to work OK the few times I check it. I ended up paying the $10/month for newsguy which always works and I've never come close to my bandwidth quota (might be different for you if you hang out in a lot of the binaries groups)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Newsguy, Thanks.

I don't do much in binaries that's what bittorrent is for, News is just alt.autos.studebaker and a few programing groups.

Peace.

P.D.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Oujdeivß

If you don't care about pic's, just go to Google and go to the tab 'more' then 'groups'... Look up Studebaker... select alt.autos.Studebaker... Easy enough...and free...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Newsguy has a $9.95 a month dialup account with 3Gb of news server access, 5 mail accounts with 250Mb of storage (pop and web access), and

50MB of Webspace.

That's a pretty nice deal, and 3Gb news server access, which for me is lots of text with the occasional attachment, is probably more then enough bandwidth.

Kills a lot of birds with one small stone.

Earthlink wanted $21.95 for a dial-up account with News Support, Net Zero wants 10 bucks and has no news servers.

I'm probably going to switch from DSL to cable as well (the Cable ISP does not provide News access either)

So, Any more testimonials for Newsguy?

:)

P.D.

Jeff Rice wrote: