Oil leak fun

Found a flaw in the 50 Champion, when it gets warm it seems to blow oil back on the exhaust resulting in blue smoke inside the car. Joy. Thought it might be a bad oil pressure gage tubing connection at the oil pump, but replacing the tube with a plug didn't help. Looking more closely, I thought perhaps the fuel pump wasn't tightened down enough so I put a wrench to one of the bolts. Actually, it seems to have been tightened down a bit too much at some point as it seems to be stripped. Helicoil time, and then it's overdrive troubleshooting. I hope to be cruising Sunset by the weekend.

Reply to
Pat Drnec

all I can say is "good luck with that" :) I'm still trying to de-leakify my '55; I've got one major leak (Pitman shaft seal) and a couple minor ones (various transmission seals) to go, and I've been working on it for a while now.

A leak-free Stude is nice, but takes some work (and lots of new seals...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I stock the cork ring seals for the Saginaw power steering pitman arm. These are the original seals. They work fine for many years unless the shaft is rough. Did you ever find the modern seals you were looking for? Bob Kapteyn

Reply to
RBK.

Pat,

Another possibility: the fuel pump body has a small weep hole in the body, and is usually on the rear (ie, towards rear of car) side of the fuel pump. If the oil seal inside the fuel pump has failed, this will allow oil to blow out the weep hole and get all over the top of the oil pump and on the exhaust header pipe.

I just had this happen to me on my '54 Champion.

Let us know what you find.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

To be honest, I have the number squirrelled away somewhere and that's about as far as I got :( Got too much on my plate right now at work and with the new house to really be 100% on top of the car thing...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Paul I think you hit it! I cleaned up the oil, wrapped a rag several times around the pump, tie-wrapped it in place and went for a drive. Everything stayed dry. Since the mating surface of the oil fuel pump was not obstructed, that seal must be the culprit.

R1Lark wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec