Old gas octane OT

A little OT... Found some neat old pictures my Dad and his uncle took on a 2 week car trip in '51 or '52. In addition to normal vacation stuff like mountains and rivers, there are a fair number of other shots of things. Several show my Dad's '39 ford at gas stations, National park entrances, state road signs, and out in the country off the road since they camped out of it mostly instead of hotels. My Dad was 18-19 at the time.

There is a great one of the uncle using one of those pump-up gas blow torches to heat a frying pan for supper and the car is behind him with cups and pans sitting on the running board! The trunk is open and there's a 5 gal gas can and a oil funnel visible.

Another interesting one shows the car parked at a gas station and the attendant is filling it up with Texaco "firechief" gas. The other pump at the station is marked "skychief". I assume they were different octane so what was my Dad getting?

Jeff in ND

Reply to
JH

I dunno the octane, but I found this on the internet:

1932 - Texaco introduced Fire Chief gasoline nationwide, a motor fuel that met the octane requirements for fire engines, and promoted it through a radio program over NBC that was hosted by Ed Winn the "Texaco Fire Chief."

1938 - Texaco introduced Sky Chief gasoline, a premium grade fuel developed from the ground up as a high-octane gasoline rather than just an ethylized regular product. Sky Chief was dispensed from a silver gas pump in contrast with the red pump used for Fire Chief gasoline - a move that would last many years until the early 1960s.

So, I'd say Fire Chief was the cheap stuff;)

Mark

65 Cruiser
JH wrote:
Reply to
Mark Anderson

That right, Fire Cheif was Regular and Sky Cheif was premium or also call ethal.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

I must be hungry. . . Fire Chief and Sky Chief!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Ethyl

"Rick Courtier" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Ok, I a fu#*ing stupid and can't spell too!

And your point?

Rick (still hungry) Courtier

Reply to
Rick Courtier

And not really not with it today either. . . .

OK, I'm fu#*ing stupid, just plain stupid!

But really hungry need some food and beer!!!!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

I have no point.. Jeff ( as I am rounded off like a dull pencil.....) Rice

"Rick Courtier" wrot..

Reply to
Jeff Rice