One last time

Tomorrow I will take a long cruise in one of my Studebakers...along the coast that I love so much..to see it for the last time before it gets tossed under the bus by politicians and big business. The party system has failed miserably and it is time for an alternative.

Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I'm very sorry for the lost of the 11 men (I have a friend here that works on one of the oil rigs down there now)and the leaking oil damage that is going to happen now...I'm sorry your hurt George cause I can understand why...

But we all share some blame for these issues cause we all want the gas and home heating etc, that oil gives us... So we drive this market to find more oil by our needs for it...They just did a News Paper poll here, do we want to let of shore oil drilling off the Cape Breton coast after what happened down south...Answer was most said yes...

I don't have answers but I know having only one party government set for the few is not the answer either...

Do enjoy driving your Stude and take some pictures for the memory book or to pass to us on line that could not be with you...

Lansing

Reply to
Lansing

"The oil people say it was an act of God, and in the long run there's some truth in that. The undersea formations here are naturally porous, delicate to fool with. You might say the area is blowout-prone. But in the short run the oil people are to blame. They didn't take the danger of a spill fully into account, and they didn't use the right preventative measures for drilling at this depth. The result is what you see." He flung his arm toward the platform which stood against the horizon.

"Why didn't they take the right preventative measures?"

"It costs money," he said. "Oilmen are gamblers, most of them, and they'd rather take a little chance than spend a lot of money. Or wait for technology to catch up." He added after a moment, "They're not the only gamblers. We're all in the game. We all drive cars, and we're all hooked on oil. The question is how we can get unhooked before we drown in the stuff."

Ross Macdonald, Sleeping Beauty, 1973

Reply to
Curtis

An ol' geezer friend mentioned the same thing a few days ago at the Corral...

It certainly wouldn't be the first example of sabotage by activists.

OTOH, I maintained for years that we need to get off the oil addiction and move on to newer technologies. Problem is that such requires innovation and guv'ment interference (in everything) seems to have squelched that part of the American spirit.

Overall, the safety record of offshore drilling (as regards) pollution is pretty good. As I remember it, the last offshore drilling fiasco was over thirty years ago on a rig off of Santa Barbara.

Oh, ain't fish oil supposed to be good for ya?

JT

Deepnhock wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Lansing, I never said "one party". I propose to do away with all the parties. And lots of other things...but It would take up pages and pages to go into here. I am blaming BOTH sides for this mess. And the party in Washington goes on... Jeffy, I don't think there was any sabotage, just very poor planning, poor or nonexistent regulation and inspection, greed, and failure to react by the current bums in office to the problem...instead they swallowed what the oil companies told them..."it's not that bad"... JT, I have been saying for years to move away from the "oil addiction" Are we partly responsible? You bet, we have been putting up with business and government 'as usual' for a VERY long time with MANY different administrations. We never stepped up and said "ENOUGH"... The people talking on this subject on this forum should be the types running this country, not a bunch of jerks that the 'parties' have handed us...some frigging' choices..dog shit on one side and cat shit on the other..oh, and the new turds on the block, the tea crapheads.. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

OK Jeffy, how about THIS for a 'conspiracy' theory.. The 'bomb' in NY was a plant to draw attention away from the biggest environmental disaster to hit the US (and maybe the world) in the last hundred years or more... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Yeah, but at least cats bury their toids...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yes, but partially overblown considering that natural processes allow nearly a million barrels of oil to leak from ocean bottoms every year.

I'm deeply suspicious of this event. I see it serving the purpose of doing nothing for anything for years to come...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Lessee: Environmental whackos deliberately set off environmental catastrophe to stop offshore drilling, because they don't really care about the environment; they just hate the looks of offshore oil wells and also want to wreck our economy.

Makes sense to me in some crazy Rush Limbaugh kind of way. . . .

Reply to
Curtis

Well, let's look at the circumstances...

  1. O'Bammy declares offshore drilling to be expanded
  2. Oil rig goes ka-boom on Earth Day

Circumstantial or Coincidental???

Maybe...

JT

(Ya want some circumstantial "evidence?" Try here:

Look for: "US Orders Blackout Over North Korean Torpedoing of Gulf of Mexico Oil Rig." But you'll hafta scroll down a bit to get to it)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You're askin' me??? I have to be awake for at least an hour to realize what day it might be...

You're askin' me??? Once I'm awake, my first thoughts usually deal with breakfast...

Maybe or maybe not. It ain't all that wise to draw conclusions until all of the forensic evidence is sorted out.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Well my favorite dog died exactly 20 years and six months after my father passed away, and exactly 60 years to the day after D-day. I always thought the timing was just coincidence, but . . .

Reply to
Curtis

Now you're talkin' nonsense.

Yo' iz deesmist!