OT- anyone downloaded Outlook Express 7?

I'm getting prompts to from Microsoft to download OE7. I remember when the XP Service Pack came out, there were a lot of problems with downloads. Anyone have any experience with OE7? Thanks, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I've never used OE anything, I'm in love with Firefox/Thunderbird. I don't risk downloading a bunch of buggy bloatware from Microsoft.

Paul Johns> I'm getting prompts to from Microsoft to download OE7. I remember when the

Reply to
John Poulos

I got the same prompt...

What the hell...I went for it.

It gives you a little bigger screen, it removes two lines of junk thats there now (version 6) and consolidates them. It moves control buttons around a bit, not a big deal. One I don't like is the "stop" and "redo" buttons are on the right side of the screen rether than the left as they are on V.-6.

The only thing I had a little hassle with is the mail. If you are using "outlook"...it's now hidden! The little no name button on the far right is like a pull down button. Hit that...that's where the mail is now. You may have to bring it up the first time thru the "preference" pull-down and click on it to put in on the screen.

After using if for about two weeks now....yea it's cool. If nothing else it gets rid of a lot of non-used buttons and gives that two moe lines worth of screen mentioned above. Cleaner/simpler looking.

Speed, hangups, etc., nothing noticed...good or bad.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I screwed up and installed OE7 on one of my machines here at the house. I absolutely did not care for it, uninstalled, and reinstalled OE6.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
jab-ph

I use Mozilla since it has a combined newsreader/browser. About to upgrade to Seamonkey...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

ditto.

don't do it!

Rob

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I heard that when Vista comes out they will eliminate Outlook Express and have a whole new email program. Of course, I won't be in a hurry to install Vista.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I read the article about Vista in PC Magazine, and I have to agree with you. Absolutely no reason to install Vista. I've got XP working for me as well as Win98 ever did, and I'm satisfied with it, at any rate. I will stick with until the corporate software I'm obliged to use is obsolete and a Vista-only version is mandated.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

See if you can find my post about IE7. It takes a lot of reseources, AND, depending on who's search engine you have used in the past, Google or Yahoo, one will take control over everything you see or want to see. IE7 also did away with using Newsgroups. There is no way that I could find to read alt.autos.studebaker uless I got permission from Google. Everything in IE7 was totally controlled by Google.

My cousin works for a company that makes and design industrial switches, he is in the engineering division. His company has BLOCKED every computer from accepting IE7 and Vista.

This past week we almost lost our entire business, every t-shirt, mug and hat design went bye-bye. Our main hard drive was no longer being read by our computers.

We called in an IT guy who spent nealry 7 hours reconfiguring everything. He installed two 250GB HD(s). One backs up the main HD and the other backs up the operating system. When I asked him about Vista, he bluntly said............... stay the hell away from it. For those of you who are like me, somewhat computer illiterate, going to Vista and anything associated with it will require new memory, new graphics card, and a new processor.

He ran a Vista combatibility on my 18 month old laptop, I barely made it for the most basic version. Forget using it for graphics. There are already known issues for anyone using high end Epson printers. By high end I am talking R1800 and up.

Bill.

PS if you have not seen the new MAC commercial about Vista, while humorous to a MAC owner, it is deadly serious for us who run PCs.

Reply to
Bill Glass