OT: Beer flavored Ice Cream

Okay being one of South Carolina's self-proclaimed connoisseurs on ice cream, I saw this and say I would probably have to puke if I tried it... me thinks Ben & Jerry smoked a little too much the morning they came up with this.

0 What next Yeungling ice cream??? Some things should never be mixed.

Lee

Reply to
61hawk

It's just chocolate and vanilla swirled together... Cheap marketing at it's worst...and it works! Jeff

Okay being one of South Carolina's self-proclaimed connoisseurs on ice

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

A movie called, Cannery Row had Nick Nolte and Debra Winger making Beer Floats and not with Root Beer. . . A very funny scene! Stouts are made using a Chocolate Malt so what the differents?

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Yeah, I just went and looked at the ingredients... chocolate ice cream with malted milk powder added. It's a freakin' weak frozen chocolate malt.

Ever watch the movie Cannery Row with Nick Nolte from the early 1980's where he orders a beer milkshake?

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

When I was in college, it became something of a tradition among my circle of friends to all show up at my house to watch "Red Dwarf" and indulge ourselves with a few malt sodas. Those of you familiar with the show will undoubtedly remember that Lister's favorite breakfast was a beer milkshake and a cold glass of vindaloo sauce. Well, we all knew what vindaloo sauce tasted like (this was Carnegie Mellon, after all, there was an Indian roach coach stationed outside the engineering building every day around lunchtime) but none of us could agree on whether or not a beer milkshake would be tasty or undrinkable. This became a contentious point, with one faction maintaining that beer and milk products were never meant to mix, and the other maintaining that anything with beer in it couldn't be *that* bad. Eventually we realized that there was really only one way to settle this disagreement...

Being engineering students, we put a lot of thought into this. We eventually decided, over several alcohol-fueled conversations, that American beer was right out, and that probably the best results would be yielded from a dark yet not too bitter beer and some good vanilla ice cream. Supplies were procured (several gallons of vanilla ice cream and a couple assorted six packs of various beers - Guinness, Boddington's, and McEwan's if I remember correctly) and my ancient blender was unearthed from under the kitchen sink with surprisingly good results. Well, not counting pissing off the neighbors, at least. After discovering that beer milkshakes were, indeed, quite tasty, we proceeded to use up all of our supplies at an alarming rate...

nate

(and then there was the subsequent party that ended with my then-girlfriend dragging a very large, drunk Russian guy across the coffee table by his belt, putting an end to any thoughts of getting any money for the living room furniture we'd so diligently scrounged...)

Reply to
N8N

While he ate his sandwich and sipped his beer, a bit of conversation came back to him. Blaisedell, the poet, had said to him, "You love beer so much. I'll bet some day you'll go in and order a beer milk shake." It was a simple piece of foolery, but it had bothered Doc ever since. He wondered what a beer milk shake would taste like. The idea gagged him but he couldn't let it alone. It cropped up every time he had a glass of beer. Would it curdle the milk? Would you add sugar? It was like a shrimp ice cream. Once the thing got into your head you couldn't forget it. He finished his sandwich and paid Herman. He purposely didn't look at the milk shake machine lined up against the back wall. If a man ordered a beer milk shake, he thought, he'd better do it in a town where he wasn't known. But then, a man with a beard, ordering a beer milk shake in a town where he wasn't known--they might call the police.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

How Beerios beerios Sounds good to me

Breakfast cereal topped with beer in place of milk. Popular concept in American Colleges/Universities, where beer flows like water and short-shelf life staples like milk are hard to find. Students at said institutions, usually out of laziness, make less and less frequent trips to grocery stores, particularly students living in dorms who are provided with meals through the university cafeteria system. Since these students have no need for (and often no capability to store or prepare) foodstuffs, only easily-preparable and spoil-free items like breakfast cereal, soda and instant ramen noodles pile up in their closets or under their beds.

Beer, the ever-present lowest common denominator among college students, quickly becomes the most convenient substance with which to soak cereal. This meal is frequently consumed the day (not morning, as the morning was spent asleep) after a wild party; it may, however, be eaten at any time.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

... and the frat houses on campus just did it using Milwaukee's Best and Meister Brau because the milk looked like cottage cheese. The "under-engineered" version.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Then the Beer Base Cocktails. . . Shandy: An obvious classic, this is a combination of some type of beer with either lemonade, a lemon based soft drink, ginger-ale or anything similar.

Snakebite: A mix of beer and cider ('bout half a pint each).

Black Velvet: A mix of stout and champagne (Ideally a 50%-50% mix).

Red Eye / Red Rooster: Ale or lager (a pint) with tomato juice (a shot). Optional tabasco and egg-yolk. My favorite!

Carribean Night: Beer (a pint) mixed with coffee liqueur (a shot).

South Wind: Beer (a pint) mixed with melon liqueur (such as midori - a shot).

Depth Charge: A shot of whiskey (with the shot glass) dropped into a pint of beer.

Brown Bomber: Shandy with brandy (shot), gin(shot), and some Angostura bitters.

Bubble Blue: Shandy with Blue Curacao and vodka.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

How many servings can you have before your considered DUII (driving under the influence of icecream?

Just Asking

Billy G

Reply to
Bill Glass

Reply to
j.shavish

Never noticed ol' what's his name in that movie.Debra Winger however...

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Ummm... he's kind of the main character.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Lots of brewers went into milk products during prohibition. Stroh's comes to mind (there is still an ice cream made under that name, but the beer, no longer) and Diehl Milk Products in Defiance OH, home of the 500 pole-sitter, was a brewery and shows it.

"Chocolate" barley malt refers to the color, not the flavor, but it would go fine in ice cream. Malted milk was invented as a baby food, then was an athletic training supplement and a survival ration before becoming a confection, and now has virtually disappeared. Too bad; it's really good.

It would be the coldest day in the climate change of Hell before those commie bastards Ben & Jerry got one dime of mine to spend on wiping out my way of life. And in the "one rule for you, another for us" department, they're right up there with Celestial Seasonings.

Reply to
comatus

In Fredonia New York there's a restaurant named Aldrich's that makes their own Ice Cream as part of it's Dairy concerns. Each year on April Fools Day they make a new flavor they sell just that one day. It makes the local news each year. They've done Liver and Onions, Bologna and many other flavors that would make your blood run cold...

The following story is from the Rochester, NY Democrat & Cronicle

April Fools' ice cream combos are zany

(March 29, 2005) - Chocolate chip. Fudge ripple. Sour cherry.

Some ice cream flavors are foolproof, sure to bring in the crowds.

Yet when Aldrich's Beef and Ice Cream Parlor puts a foolhardy flavor such as chocolate spaghetti, spinach ripple or sauerkraut or the menu every April 1, the fools rush in for free samples.

It's been that way for nearly a quarter-century at the Fredonia cone and grill, where owner Scott Aldrich and daughter Julia goof on customers with a wacky flavor.

"A ton of people come out," says Aldrich, who prepares 35 gallons of the April 1 ice cream. "Last year, we did the chicken wing ice cream. Diced up the chicken (no bones, of course), added blue cheese, hot sauce and even celery. It did not last the day. People wanted to buy a hand-packed pint to take home with them."

"I look in the paper first thing that morning to see what the flavor is. They put it on the front page" of the local paper, says longtime Aldrich's customer Ruth Mackowiak, who lives in nearby Dunkirk.

There's no accounting for the media's love affair with bad taste. Reporters from California, New York City, London, Germany and now Rochester have hounded the Chautauqua County eatery for the scoop.

Over the years, headlines have been made over creamed corn, succotash, nachos and cheese, pork and beans, eggs and bacon, olives and pickles and cream ice cream. Aldrich's favorite so far, even though it wasn't as odd a flavor, has been "peachmint," a combination of peach and mint inspired by the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal.

"It's kind of like that movie Groundhog Day. Every year you run along and just do it," says Aldrich.

Aldrich's father, Leonard, started the dairy in 1955, with the ice cream parlor and restaurant added in the mid-'70s. Until last year, Aldrich's still processed its own milk.

The April Fools' Day shenanigans started in the early 1980s following a food show.

"A bunch of us were having that old rattlesnake-tastes-like-chicken conversation when this gravy salesman says, 'What about beef gravy ice cream?' I said, 'Give me some and I'll try it.' The rest is history," recalls the mild-mannered 54-year-old restaurateur and former class clown.

Those first few April Fools' Day flavors came and went without much fanfare. Customers just didn't get it, despite the newspaper advertisements. But Aldrich didn't give up. His luck changed when Julia, then 5, got in on the joke.

"I just loved bologna sandwiches and had one for lunch every day. I told Dad he should do bologna," recalls the younger Aldrich. That year, a Buffalo TV station picked up the story, and the restaurant's ice cream has been a sure-bet headline ever since, negating the need for further advertising. The success has also ensured that Julia, now 22 and a grad student in Albany, has a secure position as co-conspirator. She'll be dishing out samples Friday with her dad.

While the father-daughter pranksters have the final say, they do keep a file of customer suggestions in the back room. There are intentions to develop a Web site that would drum up enthusiasm for the yearly gag. But high tech comes slowly to the business. Until two years ago, all the phones in the restaurant were rotary dial. For now, you can read about past flavors on a specially designated April Fools' Day wall in the restaurant, along with newspaper articles clipped over the years.

A few carefully chosen individuals are privy to previewing the Fools' Day ice cream before the 1st. Even Aldrich's wife is usually kept guessing, although this year she was presented with the challenge of knowing but keeping her lips sealed.

"I talk a lot," admits Larisa Aldrich, a social worker who works with inquisitive senior citizens and teenagers. "I have to go like this"- she covers her mouth with her hand - "so I don't tell everyone."

Although the family won't impart this year's flavor for today's story, Aldrich does offer a hint: "If you are a Sonny and Cher fan, you should be able to come up with the flavor."

Others have followed suit.

In the late 1990s, Tom Wahl's started its own April Fools' Day flavor. This year's all-you-can-eat freebie, we're told, "has something fishy about it."

Vice President Keith Herman pitched the April Fools' Day idea to his colleagues at the local burger chain after attending an ice cream class at Pennsylvania State University. "They mentioned 50 (ways) for promoting ice cream sales, and that was the one that stood out in my mind," says Herman.

It's probably not a coincidence that this one-day promotion comes at a time when the public's appetite for ice cream is warming up. But Herman insists that "above everything else, it's fun."

snipped-for-privacy@DemocratandChronicle.com

Steve Grant a.k.a. the Madd Doodler

Reply to
madd_doodler