OT: car frustration update

Well, I just dropped the 944 off at a new shop today... one of the guys on a Porsche forum recommended this shop and I have high hopes for them. They might not get to my car this week because as I pulled up (about

6:30 PM) there was a HUGE enclosed car hauler up front that they were loading to go to some race down in Florida. The shop was full of 911s and 944s and even a 914/6 in various stages of race prep. Hopefully they ought to handle getting my basic little street driven 944 back in shape.

keepin' my fingers crossed...

nate

(I don't even want to think about how much this is going to hurt me, but at this point I'll pay to have a good reliable car.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You can buy a brand new Hyundai or Kia for under $10K with a 100K warranty...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

What kind are ya gonna buy?

Reply to
Dave Lester

A Toyota Corolla.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I'm hoping I don't have to spend THAT much... if nothing else, I don't have it...

nate

Reply to
N8N

We have two Hyundai's, not much fun to own, you never have to open the hood.

Grumpy AuC>

Reply to
John Poulos

LOL that seems to be true, but I would probably have to open the hood on the Hyundai I could pay cash for at the moment. Yup, I'm cheap. Besides, I really like my car, and it's been pretty good to me the past few years, aside from getting backed into by a H&R driver which really wasn't the car's fault.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate, I know I have given you hell over that car in the past...but the biggest problem owning one of those things is, as you know, finding a good tech. If the new place works out, you will be happy. Broke as hell, probably, as if they are good they will not be cheap. I wish you were spending your $$ on a decent older 911 as at least it's value would not be going in the toilet like the '44... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Hate to say it, but.... Yawn.. I need some style.. Jeff

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Lotus Exige. Totally impractical,noisy,street legal SCCA race car. Good thing my fat a** wont fit in one

Bob40...Vipers however, do have wide seats.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Pat Drnec

There is a cerain sleeper Corolla that goes back 20 or 30 years that comes to mind. Seems to me that the letters GT were in the name somewhere.

I wonder where I could get one of those - I need a very small car,

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Does Elly Mae come with it?

Jeff DeWitt

Pat Drnec wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I knew of a guy who had one of those things and he put the engine from an RX7 in it... surprised a LOT of people .

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

You should see what an RX7 engine can do in a Sprite. (Of course, the gear shifter looks a bit weird, as do the slicks, so it sure wasn't a sleeper.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Yeah... she now looks like Granny... but fatter.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That's it! I'd drive it with pride! Jeff

"Pat Drnec" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

A friend of mine in college had one of those; as I recall you're talking about the square body, round headlight, RWD corolla. My Puerto Rican buddy loves those things, apparently they are popular for drag racing in PR. I have no idea where you'd find one today, however; it seems that anything more than 5-10 years old at least around here is rare and not well supported by either my FLAPS or junkyards.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Some mighty smart people on that there website ... If I mix the truck Pat suggested, with the gravity plane

,I could make electricity and sell it to y'all in mason jars ...Jeff

"Lee Aanderud" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yeah, now look what someone invented.