OT: coolest flashlight ever

just bought myself a new flashlight, you can now get an LED Mag-Lite. Unfortunately it only comes in a four cell version (a little unwieldy) but it's every bit as bright as the old ones, and I'm sure battery life is improved.

I feel old, I remember when LEDs this bright were science-fiction stuff and white ones equally so.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I just bought a LED flashlight from Princess Auto, with a single 1-watt white LED in it. It actually will throw a decent beam for over 100 feet. And the light is very white, not blue-white. Uses three AAA cells, and makes a claim for extremely long duration on the batteries.

Cost 17.95 in Canuck bux.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Nuts, I remember when digital watches were a pretty neat idea... back when they had red LEDs for the display and you had to push a button to make them light up so you could see what time it was.

Jeff DeWitt

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Funny thing, Jeff. Most people don't look at their watch to find out what the exact time is. They want an asnswer to a question. Is it close to going-home time yet? Has the game started? How late is that s*****ad this time? Do I have time for another before this place closes?

and so on.

The next time you see someone look at their watch, wait a few minutes, walk up to them and cover their watch, then ask them what time it is. Very seldom will they be within five minutes,

Karl

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
midlant

I drive my wife nuts, because I can usually tell what time it is (any old time) within 5 minutes. And I stopped wearing a watch a long time ago. What I get a kick out of is the kitchen. Everything has a digital clock on it. There must be half a dozen clocks in there.... Jeff

Funny thing, Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Uh oh.... Coolest flashlight ever? We'd better not ever talk about the fleshlight

(but you go there at your own risk...)

Reply to
Jeff Rice

If you have a 2 x AA cell Mag-Lite you can get a retro fit kit with LED. I picked one up from REI the camping store.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

What are really useful to FOFs (forgetful ol' fools ) like me are the LED shaker lights. Never need batteries.

What will be the real change is when all your house lighting will be (colour adjusted) LED powered permanently with a couple of cheap solar cells/batteries on your wall or roof. I see some of my fellow Boler trailer afficionados have done that already so, no trailer hookups required if you carry your own water. (the three-way fridge runs off 12V, 110V or propane, and my TV/AM/FM runs 12V or 110V)

Actually, my Solar Max

on my old house has a 12 volt fan

31 watt fan (capacitor start), so it can easily be run off a deep cycle 12 volt battery or two charged up by those cheaper solar cells, instead/in addition to being attached to the wall plug.

Now THAT is really Buck Rogers in the 25th Century--that my new house I'm building in the spring "could" be entirely self sufficient heat and lighting wise--even without adding in the low cost (in the hundreds of $) windmill electricity generators you can now get from Canadian Tire etc. Such is the pace to tech change

Jim Bartley on PEI--where windpower (hang onto yer hat!) is realistic for individual homes

Reply to
George