OT Drive into or back into parking space.

Marilyn and I have a difference of opinion about entering / leaving parking lot spaces.

I finally said, "The Institute of Advanced Motoring sy to do it my way." "Prove it", she said.

This would involve raking through cabinets after moving the CDR out, so I searched the net.

It was #2 on their list of driving tips. And all I had thought of was safety and ease on leaving! (It seems that I had started an arguement on a Brotish Driving NG, too.) Ah, a day's not a day withoiut a good fight.

Karl

Other good stuff here, too.

Reply to
midlant

I always believed in Reverse IN, however, in New York State, it is against the law, especially in municipal lots, and in privately owned shopping centers, there are signs that state. NOSE IN ONLY failure to follow will result in a fine and a tow.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Many a year back, I was a manager of letter carriers in the Postal Service, which claimed to get its safe driving policies directly from the National Safety Council, and the official policy on parking in a lot or turning around was to back in and pull out. The concept was that you could see into the empty space as you pulled past before backing in, and then have a clear view both ways when pulling out. In practice, local carrier operations may vary. A smart carrier would use the fire lane like UPS does--but shut off the engine, lock all doors, set parking brake and chock the wheels, by the book. Backing incidents are a real bugaboo for USPS: the neck-brace crowd are known to pull up intimately close to those mounted-route LLV's in hope that the carrier will find one more letter as he pulls away from a curbline box, shove into R without looking at the "pot lid" mirror, and nip the nose of the POV in the blind spot, resulting in a percentage-basis legal representation.

Gun nuts are taught that NYC's original disarmament laws were lobbied by bought aldermen of the criminal class, who resented being shot during muggings. Considering the RAC rationale for backing into the car park--blocking access to the "boot"--perhaps we could attribute the state "nose-in" law to the same source?

____________________________________ in New York State, it is against the law, especially in municipal lots, and in privately owned shopping centers, there are signs that state. NOSE IN ONLY failure to follow will result in a fine and a tow.

Reply to
comatus

In the eighties and nineties in US Army Europe it was required. It was referred to as "combat parking".

Reply to
transtar60xxx

It is always easier to pull out into traffic rather than back out. It has been my practice to do so for many years.

OTOH, Nu Yawk evidently has it bass ackwards but what more could you expect from the politicos??

I'm with you on this Bill...

JT

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Although the first cars I got in High School were nonstarting starter cars, even when I could afford something better I found myself driving junk. Since the begining, and even in todays nice new cars, I am selective about where I park, like a dog circling before he dumps. If you back in, you can tow it out. If you back in you can get at the battery to jump it If you back in to a spot where its clear ahead of you you can push it out and maybe jump start it. If you back in you can make a better get away. If you park on a hill with a clear spot ahead of you, you might be able to gravity start it. If you start driving with cars with no reverse, you learn to find spots you can drive through and drive out of. And park out in the back of the lot under a light. The walk to your car after work is a good cool down period.

Bill Remote starting his new Dodge Pickup from the window before he walks out to the highest pull out spot in the lot.

Reply to
Bill Clark

It's only my two cents worth, based on millions of miles behind a wheel, but IF I only have to contend with my own judgement (and lets pretend no traffic behind me like some darn fool yaking on the cell while driving) I would always nose in and back out....has to do with the vantage point from the front of the vehicle where the steering is,especially driving a longer vehicle and judging when to cut the wheel. I have seen far too many your side/car beside you corner scrapes/damage from the "back-in" types, especially on the day they take the minivan instead of the Civic and forget its a few feet longer. I always nose in with the Wagonaire (V8, manual steering....)

Jim Bartley on PEI...1,050,000 km in 12 years. (old cars registering in "miles" are extra)

Reply to
George Mills

What's even better is when you can drive through to the other row and be facing out. I sometimes back in so I can more easily pull out and see past all the G.D. SUV's

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Reply to
midlant

my uncle was a letter carrier back in the 1970's-80's

he parked his postal vehicle legally, on the side of one of the main streets, took off down the block to deliver mail.. came back up he other side of the street, in time to see someone collect the Jeep so bad the frame buckled.

Uncle Bills remark???

oh, well. looks like overtime today....

DO NOT hit a USPS vehicle... that is a 2-3 hour ordeal involving Postal Inspectors.

Reply to
Green Acres is the place to be

It's kind of stupid to go nose out in angled parking spaces.

Reply to
Neil Doune Anblomee