OT: Flat screen Plasma

I recently bought a 50 inch plasma and love it. It does not suffer from having to be viewed from forward only. I can see from anywhere in

3 rooms. It was only ( should I say ONLY? ) $1200 at Best Buy. Most of the others were $3500 but this was an off brand and a monitor only. We had already read about the life span of these so we got the extended warranty for an extra hundred bucks. I am quite confident it will pay off in due course. I love this set, though.
Reply to
salstude

Bill Glass

In 4:3, you can turn the side bars from black to gray and your screen will be okay... black side bars turn that area virtually off, gray puts them in kind of a vibrate mode where that section will not burn in nor be sharper than the center section over time. This comes from a friend of mine who changes televisions about as often as JP changes Studebakers.

I don't like stretching the edges to full screen... a person walking across the screen is 400 pounds then 200 pounds then back to 400 pounds.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I bought a 65" Mitsubishi dlp. It has an excellent picture and doesn't have burn in issues. Off axis viewing is fine.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Reply to
lexmale43

My plasma is an older Olympic surplus Fujitsu unit and when the image is really bright if you look carefully you can see "Todays Specials",

and the Windows "Start" button.

But it was also $400!

And yes, it really is Olympic surplus, if you went to the Salt Lake City Olympics you might have seen it.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt

Specials",

and the Windows "Start" button.

I was at a house this weekemd with a HUGE screen TV - four or five feet wide. Local team was getting whipped - Bring back Marty-ball. It took him until the super-bowl to lose his first game last year - now, they're 1 win 4 games.)

Anyhow, I eventually gave up watching those visual dwarfs and went into the kitchen where there were proportionlly-correct Chargers blowing the game.

No better football, but the players looked real.

Reply to
Karl Haas