OT: Ford owners, 300 straight six low on coolant

Went to look at a F-150 tonight, truck is super straight and clean but one issue - the radiator was half empty. Now it had been sitting for maybe 6 mos. without even being started... it was green so I don't think it froze. Couldn't find any obvious leaks. Anyone know what the common cause of this in a 300 would be? could it be as easy as a water pump or are these beasts known to eat head gaskets?

I've posted to the appropriate groups but I figured I'd ask here because honestly, you guys and the Porsche guys are the two groups I frequent that seem to have the biggest number of wrench-spinners whose opinions I trust.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They are pretty tough motors. It could be that the owner/driver wasn't very attentive to the maintenance and parked it that way. Or, the leak is above the level the coolant is now and remnants of it have disappared. Pull a couple of spark plugs and look for evidence of water, don't think you'll find it though.

Reply to
ErnieR

I have a 1990 F150 with a six in it that has a head gasket leak. So far from what I can tell it does come out the side a little, and the truck seems to run ok. There isn't any antifreeze coming out the exhaust, nor is the exhaust white. I also tends to leak when it sits. I've been driving it this way for over a year as I bought it knowing that it had a problem. Didn't put many miles on the vehicle this year, maybe 3,000 or so. Still seems to be running good, and nothing in the oil either. Am I running on luck? Could be. I'll see what happens when it warms up and I can change the head gasket. If the truck is in good shape, go for it. It shouldn't be that difficult to replace the head gasket, and if u can buy it cheap enough u can afford to have it done for probably $300 - $500.

Reply to
Pckstude

pretty bulletproof engine, is the coolant level near the same as the water pump weep hole or freeze plug? easy engine to repair also. just buy the sucker, we need to hear you whine about a new turd for a change

Reply to
oldcarfart

What Calvin said... Just be sure it's nicer than the POS JP's been driving around for years and you have a guaranteed resale customer later on .. Jeff

"oldcarfart" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

It *LOOKS* nicer than JP's POS... is it any better? who knows. I know if I buy it I will probably be the last owner as there's no market for old vehicles around here, unless the nice Hispanic guys across the street want it for a work truck...

nate

Reply to
N8N

My POS Ford truck only has 80,000 miles, but it has a dent or two.

N8N wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

See the post on lifters in "Journal Speed" below. One thing 300 sixes will do, if they have a history of sitting a long time or having had water in the oil, is seize up lifters. If you catch this at the first sound of a slight miss, light high-detergent additives may free them up. In my case, no. If you have the head off to change the gasket, check the lifters for rust or deformation.

They are also noted for working loose intake manifold and carburetor bolts. Big, long, heavy manifold. Check them once in a while.

Reply to
comatus

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
oldcarfart

but it was you that broke the cherry on DTIBY (Dead Turds In Back Yards) in your neeboorhood

Reply to
oldcarfart

Absolutely!

It may well not have been the radiator's fault that it was only at half capacity. Where's the compassion???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think that Barry was the first resident on "his" block. Well grandfathered in...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire