OT: frustration...

Well, the homeownership thing has finally thrown up its first snag... was just about to go to bed this evening when I noticed it was a little chilly upstairs. I attributed this to the lack of insulation so I closed off the vents downstairs and kicked the thermostat up a little. I heard the furnace kick on and went upstairs, but heard it kick back off after only a minute or so. Yup... no workee. Looks like either the gas valve or the ignitor has taken a dump, can't tell which.

I'm still awake, as apparently there are lots of places that *advertise*

24 hour service but only a few that actually provide it. So I'm sitting here with the oven on and the little oil radiator from the garage upstairs, waiting for someone to call me back... grr. The place that the home warranty people recommended a) couldn't make it and b) sounded like the guy was operating out of his garage, but at this point I'd just settle for anyone because I'm kinda hesitant to go to bed with the oven on...

Any good timewasting late night links would be appreciated, I'm wearing out my usual ones...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My igniter goes up every 4-5 years and I buy a new one from the local repair place for about $25. Goes in with one screw and you can see the bad one does not glow.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I see no glow and it metered open. I guess I ought to pick up two so I don't end up pulling another all nighter moving heaters around :(

nate

(what do you mean there's no all night appliance parts store?)

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I fail to understand the total issue, I thought this was one of the reasons you had a bedmate

Reply to
oldcarfart

Don't use the oven!

Use a couple of the burners preferably with cast iron fry pans and the electric radiator in your room.

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Late to mention it, but be V.Careful with those ignitors: they are fragile. Especially a used-but-probably-still-OK-for-a-spare. Set it down gently, keep fingers off the element, and store it wrapped up in plastifoam. I am constantly reminded of how little gas a pilot light used.

Is you have a draft-inducer fan (most do), there will be a hose or tube to a sensor of presence of ducted air. If this tube, or the connectors at either end, gets a spider web, grain of sand, dust or other Carter-carb-sized detritus, it will keep the igniter from coming on--a safety feature . In a basement or garage, where there are more extremes of ambient humidity and temperature, these should be wire-reamed and blown out before each heating season. Ask me how I know.

Reply to
comatus

That is one item I will not see anymore when i move to Hong Kong in May - AC is the only thing they have there.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

and an excellent supply of LBFM's for your pleasure

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Paul Villforth

Little Brown Fu*king Machines, I love you no schitt, buy me air conditioned Honda car. First time to Asia, Cherry Boy? Remember one thing when trying new chow, RICE DOES NOT MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Paul Villforth

What country are you going to Paul? Contract??

Sometimes I think that I wouldn't mind another contract myself..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

JT I am moving to Hong Kong. Already have a condo in Tseung Kwan O which is in view of the eastern end of Hong Kong Island but in the New Territories, Sai Kung to be exact. I was married this past July to a lady that lives and works in Hong Kong (Chinese but UK passport holder). She is unlike the typical Chinese woman in that she is 5'-9" tall. She works for ESF (English School Foundation International School) as a Mandarin teacher and head of Mandarin at Kowloon Bay School. She doesn't necessarily want to come here because teachers are much better paid in HK. My wife, Ning, bought the condo just before we were married and will have it paid off in three years. Condo cost about $4.6MHK.

I have applied for a contract position with the HK Government as a Food Safety Officer. I also have a contact with an engineering firm here that has offices in HK. I may go to work for them in the capacity as a Public Health consultant for projects they are bidding on for water treatment and waste water treatment facilities. I also have an invitation from the faculty at Hong Kong University to do environmental research. So I have a number of options I can pursue.

I am looking forward to living in HK.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

Sounds like a great deal and a lot better than Houston!

JT

Paul Villforth wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Will also have my 61 Lark W6 for sale soon - repaint should be done by early next week or maybe this weekend. It is being repainted with urethane paint. I repainted the front clip and doors but never got around to the rear of the body, so I am having it completely repainted. It is a bit more white then the original Ermin white. I did manage to paint everything under the fenders and I have applied rust proofing compound in all of the hidden places like those in the rear of the front fenders. The rust proofing compound also regenerates the original undercoating - it softens it and also seems to soak into it. The rust proofing is the stuff that resembles wax when the solvent evaporates, so it flows nicely into those places that typically rust.

Reply to
Paul Villforth