OT-Has anyone started to use IE-7?

I tried using it, and without clicking anything, Google took control of everything I wanted to view.

Not only that, but there was absolutely no way, or method I could find to get Newsgroups. I restored the computer back to the way it was. Outlook no longer had a link to Outlook Express, it was to me a bad experience.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

Thank you Bill for sharing that with us. I use Outlook Express 6 and am very happy with it. jf

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

I use it on one of my machines at work, it comes with Vista and it seems to work fine. Guess you guys don't want to hear that Outlook Express is going away, it's being replaced by "Windows Mail"

Jeff DeWitt

jerrystudebaker wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

It gets worse. I was happily using Explorer 5.5 until last week, but started to get a message for necessary Explorer upgrade, when accessing sites such as my eBay. I grabbed an Earthlink disk, which had Explorer

6 on it, and did the upgrade. I never saw anything lock-up so much after that. A full HD format and reload produced the SAME results. Eventually I found out that the early Explorer 6 was nominated by PC magazine as being one of the 25 worst tech products ever, it was so buggy. I finally had to do a 45 minute dial-up download of Explorer 6 sp1, to make the PC work properly. I try to stay one browser back from the current offering, in order to avoid bad software, and I get burned anyway. I tried Firefox and had to uninstall it, as I didn't get photos to load quick enough to suit me and got boxes with red X's in the upper left corner until the picture decided to load. To me, simple seemed to work better. You would think by now, the modern software products would be quite good, but it seems like just the opposite is happening. I had similar locking up problems, when I took an upgrade to FlashPlayer 8. I had to use their uninstall software and reload FlashPlayer 7, obtained off a third party site, to get things back to working properly. Grr, I hate that when it happens. KK
Reply to
keith_kichefski

Why even try with Firefox/Thunderbird out there.

keith snipped-for-privacy@wed.dresser.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

There's still Thunderbird, FireFox's e-mail/newsreading cousin.

oh, and I've installed IE7, and uninstalled Outlook and Outlook Express, it's a root kit (bad system exploit) waiting to happen.

p.d.

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Oujdeivß

I did put Firefox/Thunderbird on that system at work, but then decided to just use IE/Windows Mail on it. After all that IS what most people use, and on that machine I wanted to try the full "Microsoft Experience".

Windows Mail and IE 7 seem to work pretty well on that Vista machine, if it were mine, or I was going to keep it for the long term I wouldn't use them. The phishing filter seems to work fine, but while in Thunderbird it's one click to mark something as junk it's two clicks and a mouse move on Windows Mail, kind of a pain.

Jeff DeWitt

Oujdeivß wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt
Reply to
Neil Doune Anblomee

No thanks, with a handle like you have that sounds more like your thing than mine.

I mess with this stuff for a living and wanted to see what "normal" people have to put up with, plus I'm going to be giving a presentation about Vista and figured I needed to know what I'm talking about.

Jeff DeWitt

Neil Doune Anblomee wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Vista = bloated, but then I think that about X.P. )and now it seems lean and mean)

Win 2K is still my O.S. of choice for many of my machines.

Vista needs 1GB of RAM Minimum , better aim for 2GB to really do anything useful (if you do useful stuff).

It's s serious dog on 90% of the installed business class hardware, and the groovy cool Aero Glass GUI will not function on ANY standard business class computer configuration sold by Dell (I.E. Intel integrated chipset graphics) or their ilk.

But yeah, I understand needing to know what the clients are facing, I have a machine with a 200GB drive, and several boot images that I can select from (via a boot manager).

The Images are Win2K + Office 2K, WinXP + Office XP, WinXP + Office 2K3, Win XP + Office 2K7 (rtm) and Vista (rtm) + Office 2007 (rtm). It's a pita keeping them updated, but necessary (and useful when a client calls, and needs help with office)

I now need to add WinXP + I.E. 7 images with the various office versions 'cause I just had an odd call the other day that I couldn't replicate.

I lurv Microsoft, really, I do, they've paid my bills for decades, and give me tons of free junk.

But my Mom's computer run Kubuntu (linux) + OpenOffice 2 + FireFox/Thunderbird. She thinks it's windows, and we don't tell her any different :) My brother's office is transitioning to a F.O.S.S. platform as well, mainly because they can't afford the software licenses, and he gets my services for beer.

cheers.

p.d.

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Oujdeivß

The system I've got Vista loaded on is a IBM (NOT Lenovo) IntelliStation Z pro with dual 3.4 Ghz Zeon processors, 2gb of RAM, a 70GB SCSI hard drive and I forget which video card it's got but it's decent one, this is a seriously nice machine, wish I could keep it! It has NO problem running Vista.

Jeff DeWitt

Oujdeivß wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

really getting OT, what distro of Linux would you recommend for someone with a pile of old computer parts laying around that just wants to put something together that doesn't have Windoze on it? Not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just something that I can mess around with, probably running same apps as above plus the GIMP.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I'm running Vista (Release Copy 2) on a test computer at work... so far my impressions are that it's Windows XP with better graphics and they've hid some of the pieces to configure the computer so it's set up the way you want it to be. And its a freakin' memory hog. I don't see any reason to run out and start installing it. Like I mentioned, it's just a prettied up version of XP.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

How old is the hardware?

P3 500MHz or Better with a DirectX 7 or better video card then either Suse or Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE) works nicely.

If it's gonna be a desktop machine, try Kubuntu first. If it's gonna be a server try Suse. I used to love Caldera Linux a few years back, as it was a business oriented distro, and under Novell's stewardship, Suse has headed of in that direction.

Redhat is the gold standard though, and almost every application comes in a Redhat RPM, so installation is easy.

p.d.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Oujdeivß

Out of curiosity, if you are going to fuss with IBM desktop machines, why not just use an AIX version? I would class AIX as one of my favorite operating systems, right after HP-UX, HP-RTE, and UNICOS. Actually AIX and HP-UX are quite similar, the differences are slight.

-- wf.

Jeffrey DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
randee

Reply to
Oujdeivß

Where I work we take in IBM end of lease and new customer returns and get them ready for resale (or scrap depending on value and condition). My side of it is the high volume office and consumer machines, the AIX units are used in low volume high cost equipment on the other side. Our stuff also usually has Intel processors, the AIX machines I'm familiar with have IBM Power PC RISC processors.

I've used both AIX and OS2 when working on the big tape libraries, but that's been a few years.

Jeff DeWitt

randee wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

IF you DO get SUSE, at LEAST version 9. comes on a double sided DVD.. LOTS of added programs on the disk..

Thunderbird for email, and Firefox for web.-both have linux versions..

BTW, you NEVER see the BSOD.. just punch 3 keys and the errant program is booted off with NO re booting of computer.. and if you WANT, you can leave it running pretty near forever and not reboot, doesn't have windows memory issues. longest I have read or heard of, was something like 7 years without reboot.. thats only needed in a power failure or hardware change.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I have a Pentium 233 running an old version of Caldera (1.3 Kernelish? ) that's been running continuously since 1999 :) and scarier yet, I have a client who's SCO Unix box has been running without a reboot since it was installed circa 1995.

Gotta love that uptime.

p.d.

snipped-for-privacy@notanywhere.net wrote:

Reply to