OT: Hemi-Chevy update

Surprisingly the engine fits nicely width-wise, so no modifications to the inner fenders. The only thing we need to do to get it to fit where we want it to is to trim a small section in the transmission tunnel... which needed to be patched anyway. We want to get it about two inches farther back and just a little lower than it's sitting in the pictures.

at 4800 rpm. The engine was bored slightly and is now approximately 340 cu. in. so I need to find another 10 HP to get a 1:1 ratio. It's going to do awesome one wheel burnouts with this non-posi rearend.

do you have to run the 409 water pump to clear radiator or does the radiator have a more forward mounting available i.e. '55-'57 chebbys v-8 location vs. six cylinder location?

Reply to
oldcarfart

hemi. Surprisingly the engine fits nicely width-wise, so no modifications to the inner fenders. The only thing we need to do to get it to fit where we want it to is to trim a small section in the transmission tunnel... which needed to be patched anyway. We want to get it about two inches farther back and just a little lower than it's sitting in the pictures.

HP at 4800 rpm. The engine was bored slightly and is now approximately 340 cu. in. so I need to find another 10 HP to get a 1:1 ratio. It's going to do awesome one wheel burnouts with this non-posi rearend.

I have a 1926 Dodge (ex-coupe) roadster body and I am looking for a slant six with 4 speed tranny as in pickup truck applications, Hemi's almost commonplace in open engine bay cars anymore, but yours will be a sleeper

Reply to
oldcarfart

Not sure, but I don't think there will be any problem clearing the radiator... there will probably be a foot of space between the block and the radiator. I'm probably going to be going with an electric fan so that leaves more space. I started looking last night and was like... where does the top radiator hose go??? Then I found out in a catalog... looks like I get to spend another $250 on a remote thermostat housing with tubing going to each head. By the time I'm done with this truck I'll probably have to sell both the Lark convertible and the Hawk to pay for it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Want a running 327?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

actually I try to avoid using SBC's in other than basic transportation as I hate the belly-button syndrome, but I can store it / consign it for you if you wish.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Thanks, I was thinking that I'd keep it and see if I can actually rebuild an engine by myself... I've kind of been through this once with a friend's 350 and have a good idea of how everything is supposed to go back together now. But that's after I finish this pickup (I think the Hemi is going to send me into Chapter 11), sell the Lark, finish the tractor, and start working on the camper again. And I'd really like to buy a boat. Anybody know of a rich old widow with a bad heart and no kids?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud