OT: Honda of the Month! (My Project)

Read all about it here:

There's even a picture of a Studebaker in it...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

When I was "between jobs" in the late 1980s, I used to cruise the streets looking for cars showing signs of lack of use and buy and repair / sell if the price was right. These were mostly the big three ones from Japan.

Toyota showed the best 'belts and suspenders" engineering. Datsun had few surprises and Honda was loaded with surprises, some great, some baffling at first (and even second.). I liked Toyota best.

Karl

Grumpy AuC> Read all about it here:

Reply to
midlant

I am glad your little beater turned out better than my S-10 did. I am still looking for a good used 4 cyl since it cratered on way to SB. The background looks just like my place with the old blue F**d truck & the old Dodge van.

BH

Reply to
Barry

In the late 80's, early 90's I fixed several Honda CVCC's. The students at the local college would overheat 'em, blow the head gasket, and take $50 for the car. Sometimes they just would abandon it. I would take the head off, have it milled, replace the head gasket, flush the cooling suystem, and voila! a running Honda. I would then sell it for the neighborhood of $800 to 1200 bucks. Not a great profit, but I must have done at least seven (?) of these things. Oh that Keien (sp?) three barrel. What a mess. But I actually got to where I could navigate around that POS. All part of the three valve CVCC system. I had a book called "The idiots guide to Honda's" by John Muir. He died after this book and all the following were written by someone else. John's VW book and the Honda books are the best repair manuals I've ever see. Humerous, intelligent, just a great guide. Wish they all were like that. Ahh, the Honda days.

KM

Reply to
kelmbaker

That three barrel carb is the result of our beloved EPA. No where else did people have to put up with what we have had to.

I may be looking for the "idiot's guide" though...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Hey Barry -

Speaking of 'old van' sitting out back....

When are you planning on coming to get that Ford van that's out back and half-blocking my access to the shop? :)

I'm gonna need to get my trailer backed in there this weekend and you've seen my 'backing up' skills!!! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!

Bob

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Bigbob62

Reply to
midlant

Heh! I hear that the price of scrap steel is waaaaay up!

JT

Bigbob62 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yep...I guess I'll just add Barry's van to the list of scrap metal objects to be hauled away soon! He took an old CE frame but left a full sized Ford van in it's place. I was trying to get RID of some stuff...not add to it!!

Bob (I have a trailer but I'm just too damned lazy to haul off 10 cars!)

Grumpy AuC> Heh! I hear that the price of scrap steel is waaaaay up!

Reply to
Bigbob62

Bob, Will try to get up there this weekend if I get my truck running this week. I had it all back together over 2 weeks ago, but the NIB inj. pump would not work, & I had to have the *%#@ thing rebuilt. I am installing it today. Glad to see you survived your honeymoon! BH

Reply to
Barry

I won't be around on Sat or Sun...we have to make a trip up to the Tyler/Longview area to see my sister on her birthday. We'll be back Sun evening and will be home on Mon & Tues, since we extended the weekend for the July 4th holiday!

There's no REAL rush to get it...just wanted to remind you it's sitting there! :)

Bob

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Bigbob62