(OT) "No Helmet" advocate killed in SUV-on-bike crash

Back last year we had a debate here on helment laws for motorcycles, well here is a news worthy article that hits home on this one:

An Eastern Shore man who was the state director of an organization that lobbies for the rights of motorcycle owners ? such as the right not to wear a helmet ? was killed Wednesday when an SUV collided with his motorcycle. Martin L. Schultz died at the scene, while the SUV driver had only minor injuries after she struck a telephone pole. Police said a helmet was recovered from the scene of Schultz's crash, but it was not immediately known if he was wearing it at the time of the accident. Often, anti-helmet activists carry helmets on their bikes in the event they are pulled over by police, but do not ride with them normally. The group Schultz led ? "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments" ? had a "Helmet Law Protest Ride" scheduled for October.

Dan White

> I don't believe in laws that protect me from me. I do ware my helmet and seatbelts and because I want to. I believe if I didn't want to it is my business. I do believe in laws that protect me from others, example, speed laws. Next thing they will want to protect me from eating french fries. Now, if me eating french fries would hurt you, then outlaw me from eating them, that's OK.

Reply to
L.D.

Back in the 1970s, a law in Australia allowed motorists / riders to go without seatbelts / helmets on the provision that insurance payments be based upon what the injuries would have been had the driver / rider had the protection in use.

It seemed that it was generally accepted as a logical compromise, IIRC.

Any Aussie care to comment?

Karl

L.D. wrote:

midlant

I'm not from Aussie, but from Canada, and I will make a comment on the cost of tabacco products in Canada versus the US. A pack of cigarettes are around the $10 mark vs. $2.50 in US. But one has remember the govenment foots the bill for our health care in Canada, where one has private health care in the US, so the 'cost of repairs' to someone from the damage smoking causes must be made up somewhere. That is the 'logical comprimise' Canada has for the tabacco users here; very high taxes on the product.

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

So if you get hit in the head with a flying rock while not wearing a helmet and veer into the oncoming traffic and kill someone, that's protecting you from you? I agree with you regarding seatbelts, but not helmets. They aren't the same situation.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I don't think that is the case anymore Karl.

In response to LD, I would suggest the trouble with not using seatbelts and helmets is that when someone is injured in a crash, it is the community who pay for their stupidity, at least in countries which have a national health system like Australia.

Avantilover

Reply to
John Clements

No, they are not. Sombody not wearing a seat belt is 100 times the hazard to those that share the streets with them, compared to sombody not wearing a helment.

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

So if someone is on the cell phone or better yet trying to use their gps/laptop/fax machine and drift over and force me off the road and I am injured it's because I was stupid for not wearing a helmet? Most bike riders are more safety concious than the rest of the cagers on the road.The greatest fear is not being seen by innatentive drivers.

Bob40....nearly hit by a neighbor who was too busy to watch the road.

Reply to
Bob

No, of course that doesn't make you stupid for not wearing a helmet. You are right that bike riders are more safety concious than most others on the road. That has nothing to do with the scenario I wrote. Please address what I wrote and don't change the subject.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

I don't know about Australia, but most States in the US have laws (pushed by lawyers concerned about reduced contingency fees) specifically stating your rights of recovery against a negligent driver cannot be reduced because you weren't wearing a seatbelt or helmet, even when required by law.

S2DSteve

Reply to
Steve Hudson

Craig, An amazingly high percentage of folks in the US are on a (modified) National Health System. The government just doesn't want to admit it because then they would have to make it efficient.

Karl.

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
midlant

Most bike

right that bike riders are more safety concious

wrote. Please address what I wrote and don't change the subject.

When the man who was later my assistant went to get his car driving licence (GB), after a few minutes the inspector asked him if he used to ride a bike. Alan said, "125 CC every day for two years - no accidents." "Not much point in continuing this test, I guess - let's go back to the office and do the paperwork." said the inspector. (The inspectors had much more freedon to use common sense back then.)

Karl

Karl

Reply to
midlant

right that bike riders are more safety concious

wrote. Please address what I wrote and don't change the subject.

Reply to
L.D.

You can, however, reduce the numbers of folks getting killed. There are folks alive today that would not be, except for seat belts, and laws requiring them to be used. I won't get into the helmet issue, those idiots can do to themselves as they please. I will, however, take a stand for the eye protection requirements, as I have seen (and experienced) bugs in the eye, and do know that is a hazard to others, as well.

I'll go beyond that... ya don't have to get hit!

On that issue, we can smile, and agree to disagree. But, if I see you driving in my community without a seatbelt, neither of us will likely be smiling after we meet.

Dave

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Natural selection in action?

Darwin candidate?

Not enough data for an accurate comment.

I wear a brain bucket, gloves and boots when I ride.

I also bring out the "Yes, thay ARE all trying to kill me!" attitude.

Mark (need to get another bike) Dunning

Reply to
markshere2

--

will you be bringing us up on anyone close to you acquiring a STD from lack of condom wear? do you ride or just one who feels you need to control someone else?

Reply to
oldcarfart

National health systems are not necessarily efficient but give a feeling of security in that everyone will get treated even though you may have a long wait for public hospital treatment, we also have the Pharmaceutical Benefits System (PBS) a Federal Government subsidised medicine system, so the max one may pay per prescription is around $AUD30 (I think).

Recently, the PBS listed a treatment for Breast Cancer that was previously costing women over $AUD$1000 a month as it's a good treatment, the US drug companies tried to kill off the PBS during our Free Trade Agreement, but failed and always will fail, as we like it this way.

One day the US Government will expend the same effort/money on ensuring all US citizens have access to health care and affordable medications as they do on the Military.

Cheers

John Clements

Reply to
John Clements
Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Reply to
Dale J.

Or a hard rain (or even hail)? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson