OT- positive Sears tool experience

After using an old bar and needle torque wrench for 35 years, last year I decided to spring for a nice "set and click" wrench. I bought a Craftsman for somewhere around $60, partly because of their tool guarantee. I had used it once, then a couple months ago when I had to do a valve job on the Daytona convertible, I broke it out. First time I tried to use the ratchet, it went into "free wheeling". Last night I took it to my local Sears store expecting the warranty to take care of it. Wrong! Torque wrenches have only a 90-day warranty. However, the man at the counter said "before you go away mad, let me call our tool expert and see what he can do". A young man came up and took a look. He disappeared and came back with a repair kit. He took the ratchet apart and very carefully cleaned it including scraping every notch in the teeth. He said the grease they put in at the manufacturer gave them a lot of trouble (got hard). He greased it carefully and put it together with the new parts. Worked like a charm- no charge. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I had a Crapsman ratchet do the same thing to me when it was only a few years old & had not had any hard use, & it had the same problem. After I cleaned it, applied fresh grease, it worked fine.

Reply to
Barry

I'm going to have to start driving out to your Sears. The ones around here are fine, if you don't mind the fact that all the help knows exactly nothing about the products that they sell.

nate

Reply to
N8N